3.25.2021

first walk-a-bout

We continue visiting Padame and Cierra weekly. They are both starting to shed, our horses at home not as much. Perhaps because they are outside all day. Padame loses buckets of hair every time we brush her, and yet a lot of hair is hanging on. Both horses enjoy a double dose of brushing, Brad on one side me on the other. He always lets me brush their mane and tails out, because he knows I love doing it!



a tiny hair pile compared to last weeks

beginning to wonder if there is going to be anything left of Padame
she gets brushed and brushed, and still looks the same

Brad said his ground lessons with Padame are going good. He adjusted some positioning (body blocking) with his lunging and it has made a difference. Weeks have passed, and he said the consistency is showing. I do not typically go up on lessons days, but might make the drive to observe a few. He continues to find every thing Padame's breeder said about her behavior/personality to still be true. She is 100% a thinker, and if given the chance to process, whatever is okay and just rolls with it. We have yet to see her come anywhere close to "exploding" or overreacting. I am very happy she has a Brad to help her get acclimated to her new scary world. Someone who lets her think, and assures her. A perfect match for a horse like Padame.

I was so impressed with her on our last visit. I brought Koda & Nemo's grooming bag up, and used my tiny face brush on her. Hair was flying everywhere. She didn't flinch while I brushed all over her face. I would cover her eyes while running my hands over them to brush excess hair off, then blocking her eyes again, and again in an effort to keep the fine hair out.. 

We were happy to see Brad's request was fulfilled. Padame was moved out of the super dark box stalls and into a corner stall. She is now in the much brighter show barn, with
bars along the top of two sides and near a door that is seasonally opened. She hasn't enjoyed outside turnout yet, but Brad took his girl for her first outside tour!!

I got distracted by the lonely employee who really wanted someone to talk to. When I went to find Brad, I was surprised they were already waaay out by the furthest pastures. He is a man on a mission 
and doesn't get sidetracked at the barn, like I do. I grabbed my camera, and hustled out to join them.



love the waves in her tail



taking in the sights with her guy



meeting some of the residents



Padame was not a fan of this tiny temporary resident
even tho the rest of his herd that came to greet her are horses



apparently this mini doesn't like adults



taking time to think

there is scary horse eating stuff literally in every direction outside
and consequently, very few areas for unobstructed photos



she matches the color of the season



heading back in



walking past another scary structure


Padame did really good! I am so glad she got outside for a walk-a-bout!!


8 comments:

Shirley said...

Looks like she handled everything well on her first walkabout. Such a pretty mare! I love how deep her heart girth is.
Has Brad come up with any barn name ideas for her yet?

aurora said...

She did better than many seasoned horses I have seen walk past the big open storage shed, trailers, mobile home, wooden play structure etc

Brad has decided to keep her barn name Padame. I think in part because he likes telling the story behind it. The name does fit her, at this point we are used to it. There was a key moment, when the barn employee we both really like (who speaks little english) was the first person to pronounce it correctly and not ask for her name to be repeated. Both Brad and I laughed out loud, and it was then I knew he would not change it. You had to be there. Our son calls her Origami lol.

Grey Horse Matters said...

She's a gorgeous girl. Still looks like there is a lot more hair to come off! Love her tail too. I'm so glad she got to walk around and get some fresh air and see new things. I'm sure she was happy to get outside, it's getting to be such nice weather to be out and about. You can tell she's a sensible girl and isn't going to give anyone trouble.

aurora said...

Yes, she is still holding onto a lot of hair! Padame got a good brushing prior to these photos being taken. The whole length of the barn aisle was covered in piles of her goldie locks, and yet there is so much more.

For whomever is wondering, her breeder changed the spelling of the Star Wars princess Padme (with an accent over the e) which sounds like "pad-may". Someday I will have to look that character up.

We pronounce her name pa-dah-me :)

Val Ewing said...

How beautiful. Looks like she is coming right along. Nice that she got moved to a nicer stall. Air and sunlight are good for all things. And those gentle waves in her tail!

My light colored mule seems to shed first and then the dark ones shed later. They will shed through June.

Mini donk! What can I say. I love having one mini on the place but he thinks he is boss and wants to herd everyone. He stays with our goat.

When I was a kid I got to spend the summer with a mare this color. I fell in love with her and cried when I had to return home.

aurora said...

I agree, and hope Padame gets turned outside sooner than later - but at least she has light now and will have fresh air until Winter. Hopefully she does well in her new stall.

We were told the mini donkey has to wear a halter because he doesn't like adults, and no one can catch him. Except for his two year old girl, who can lead him anywhere.

I think you might be right about lighter coat colors shedding first!

Far Side of Fifty said...

She is a beauty! :)

Linda said...

She’s gorgeous. They are going to make an unbeatable pair. It will be fun to watch this journey. I’m sure she loves all the attention you both give her.