I need it. Without consistency, self doubt rears it's ugly head. Doesn't matter if it's on the ground, or in the saddle, "it" creeps up at the silliest of times. It's amazing to me how consistency affects my confidence.
The World English Dictionary defines consistency as:
- the state or quality of holding or sticking together and retaining shape
- conformity with previous attitudes, behaviour, practice,
- an agreement or accordance with facts, form, or characteristics previously shown or stated
- an agreement or harmony between parts of something complex; compatibility
- degree of viscosity or firmness
And so, where consistency applies to horses it also applies to humans - or at least this one. When I don't get enough of it, I am not confident.
I am blessed to be surrounded by naturals, but it's tough on us needy horse lovers. They don't get the consistency thing. At least not at the level I benefit from. Yes, I know it's not about quantity and more about quality - but when the quantity is zero, so is the quality.
It has helped to have Koda & Nemo living at home this winter. I've been doing a lot more chores then last year. Simple daily interactions make a difference. After several looong months of no riding, I was pleased how our boys handled a busy arena with fresh lunging horses. I on the other hand could have done better, towards the end of our ride I let "it" creep up. It's already been a few weeks, but I'll try harder next time. Spring is slowly getting closer and I'm looking forward to being back in the saddle again, with something that resembles consistency.