3.04.2021

spring tease

We are enjoying warmer temps, and with it comes the inevitable ice and mud. Our horses were switched to the upper pasture and seem to be maneuvering the icy lot approach fairly well. The intense sun is rapidly turning the lot where they seasonally spend much of their day, into the mud lot. Including the approach. I will take mud over ice any day, especially with horses.

I have enjoyed a few more walk-a-bouts with the dogs and soaked up as much of this Spring tease as possible...


what looks like a green snowflake caught my eye

it is tiny, a little larger than my thumb nail


hidden cactus lake starting to make it's annual appearance

bummer for our horses
it is their favorite corner to hang out



magical light can be found in the woods at any time of day


our weaving paths just starting to thaw

getting here was a muddy mess
drying three large dogs is not so fun, especially Remi (the Bernese)
will wait for things to dry up some before returning


doing chores with doors wide open

yesterday it was colder in our barn (40F) than outside
and warmed up to just above 50F by the time we brought horses inside


basking in the sun
(Nemo, Koda and Harmony in shed)


after chores we walked the barn path

Shirley, above are my two overwintering Helleborus that I transplanted last year. They look similar at this stage as previous years, which is a good sign. Eventually they will (hopefully) produce new shiny leaf/flower shoots. I have learned everything blooms later here and grows slower. I relocate many of the plants & bulbs from my old place to this path last Spring. Fingers (and toes) crossed at least some of them take to living less manicured.  


Purr observing her new playground


and giving her dad cause to worry


getting her tiger on


just what I wanted
all my fav humans and dogs attention


trees taste good
(her tongue lol)

I convinced Brad to just leave Purr. She got up there she can get down. Although of our three cats, Purr is the one we have had to rescue more than once. Including from being stuck underneath a tote. Somehow she flipped it upside down and spent the night inside it...cats are always entertaining.

The minute we all walked away...


wait for me!!


8 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Warmer here too, almost mud season! Enjoy the nice weather!

Linda said...

That’s funny about Purr!

I hope this is true spring, and not spring tease. Whatever it is, I’m loving it, too.

Your barn looks very inviting with the door open.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I thought we were warming up, had a few sunny days with 40 temps. This weekend thought we're back to the teens at night. I can't wait until next Sunday when the clocks change.

Your little green snowflake is really pretty. The barn does looks inviting with the doors open. Purr is adorable. Very photogenic. Glad you're warming up. You must be in great shape with all the hikes you're taking!

Shirley said...

I love walking and riding through the woods. There is always something to catch your eye. Good catch on the lichen :0)
I am waiting for the ground to thaw completely before I risk planting my Helleborus outside. It is still flowering; the flowers are mostly green even though the tag says Ice and Roses Pink. When does yours start flowering?
Purr seems to be a real character. When my cats were younger they would get up to all kinds of shenanigans but now they would rather be Barnyard Guardians and Cute Cuddlers.

aurora said...

For us, this warmer weather is a tease - all the more reason to enjoy it while we have it! The hikes I take with the dogs absolutely help my mind & body, but are not enough to notice change. My body seems to require formal exercise. It's been SO long since I've felt in shape, barely remember what that feels like. Perhaps in part because of my past. Unfortunately at my age, it is more about what you eat. My downfall. Let's just say we eat too good at my house.

Shirley, for me the shoots started appearing late March and (extended) blooms followed in April. Depends on the Winter. However, mine were not in the best location, clay and deep shade. I think they will do better here in the filtered morning sun. Of course it might be June before I see an actual flower (insert eye roll). I am learning what grows for me all over again. They really are lovely perennials. I look forward to hearing/seeing how yours grows!

Val Ewing said...

I hope to get back to working out with CrossFit this summer. Maintaining balance and strength are the two things I need to do.
That green 'snowflake' is Lichen! One of the most common kinds found on deciduous trees.
We have feral cats that visit. I think they may belong to a neighbor about half a mile away, but they are efficient at catching rabbits and leaving body parts around for us to find.
This weekend ought to be glorious. Too much mud and muck to ride, but maybe a nice walk will be in order and some creek stomping.
Muddy dogs!
Enjoy.

aurora said...

The "green snowflake" is definitely common. I see it on a section of our Y path trees. I looked it up, it is Common greenshield lichen. Thank you wise ones, love learning new things!

Val Ewing said...

Auroa, I think photography sometimes makes us so much more curious regarding the things that surround us in nature!
:)