2.03.2021

sniff, sniff

Cierra left on Sunday to go live at our trainers until she gets bred in March. 

Sniff, sniff. The barn seems so empty without her.

I had planned on not riding along. It is a 45 minute trip one way, without hauling a trailer. They don't need my help, or the added distraction. I figured my time was better spent getting things done at home. 

All day long, I could tell Brad had more than usual on his mind. More than work stress, more than building an arena or the back-n-forth of buying and transporting a horse.

Something was bothering him.

We got a fair amount of snow the previous night, and needed to wait for roads to clear up before heading out. Mid-afternoon I saw him walk out to the pasture. He haltered Cierra, and slowly headed back to the barn. Nemo walked along with them. That would tug on anyones heartstrings. 

I left Brad alone so he could spend some time with his girl.

Eventually he led Cierra out of the barn. It was then I noticed his sullen body language, and it really hit me. He slowly led his brushed up girl wearing her slick blue show sheet, and loaded her into the trailer. 

The shirt I was mending could wait. I needed to make the trip with them. 

If you are wondering why Cierra is leaving our barn, it is for her benefit. Really, it is. At least that is what we keep telling ourselves. Cierra lived (and trained) with our trainer for eight-ish years. She is more familiar with Cierra's habits and also has years of experience in breeding/timing. Her heated barn should help regulate Cierra's cycles.

On the long drive over there, I finally found out what was bothering Brad. He feels bad taking Cierra away from her herd, and that she has to go through the whole herd integration thing again. Same as me. She is such a sweet girl, and really means a lot to him.

Brad doesn't need my help, but he does need my support.
 

I wonder why hauling her away, and for me even breeding her, makes me and apparently Brad feel so bad. Cierra has already given so much, for so many years. For me, the breeding part is the fear of the unknown. 

Breeding/birthing is not for the faint of heart, who knows what could happen.
 

I think the real thing that is bothering at least me, is adjusting to a drastically different lifestyle. Again. Cierra is going to a training barn. Unless you are part of a resident herd, there is limited turn-out that is alone and alternated. It is typical. The front turnout pastures do not have running water. It doesn't look like they are even using them with the recent snow. At our place, Cierra is outside from the butt crack of dawn until sunset interacting with her herd. I am sure she will at least get to stretch her legs in the indoor.

Nobody takes care of your animals like you do.

I am encouraging Brad to go ride Cierra. She is not in training, and it is important she stay fit. We know Cierra will be well cared for regardless. Our vet specializes in AI (and lameness) and with our trainers help monitoring timing, it is our hope everything will go smooth with her breeding. It would make Cierra's lifestyle adjustments worthwhile.

 

  


We miss you sweet girl!

(Cierra, January 2020)


One thing for sure, nothing will be the same when Cierra comes home.


5 comments:

Shirley said...

Awwww....
The time will pass quickly, and it will be exciting watching her baby belly develop and just you wait for that special foal to arrive and steal your hearts!

Val Ewing said...

Will you get her back after she is breed and settled? Having a foal is a scary but an absolutely heartwarming experience. I was with my mare Cheyanne when she gave us Sunshine and Sundance.
Cierra is beautiful!

aurora said...

We are trying to keep our "eye on the prize". Seems like the horses at home could care less that Cierra is gone, it is just us over thinking humans. Especially me.

Val, yes Cierra will come back home after getting bred.

Val Ewing said...

Awesome!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I’m sure she’s missing you and the herd as much as you’re missing her. She’ll be back in no time. Time passes quickly.