2.24.2021

from woolies to windbreakers

For some reason my wordiness is not flowing. I am falling behind on blogging and processing photos. I have updates I want to document, and horse photos to share!! It happens when all I want to do is be outside. Everything else falls by the wayside, including housework. Perhaps because I was stuck inside for too long during the extended cold front?

My snowshoes have been put to good use lately. Five days of snow shoeing in a row is a record for me. My first day out was cold and solo, but ever since then the dogs have come with me. They live for our hikes. Me too.

Some days our time outside is longer than others, but who's counting. I do occasionally set the stop watch on my phone and track my hiking time just out of curiosity, but I definitely don't set time goals. That would defeat my purpose, which is to be among nature and absorb its magnificent qualities.
  
I do like that snow shoeing takes longer than hiking, and I linger more. I have to carefully watch both feet placement, and pole placements and two dogs (especially Jameson) while absorbing my surrounding. It is a wonder I don't face plant!

I try to go to different areas of our property each time I head out, to keep things interesting. We are significantly warmer, and sadly our snow is melting. To walk the pines, I decided my boots would be a better option. In hindsight, a combo would have been ideal. While I am getting better at putting snowshoes on/off, the idea of doing it twice a hike doesn't thrill me. So I put my foot brace on and hoofed it all...it goes something like this:

Step on top of snow (yes!) step and sink in snow (ugh!) step and slide (wobble like a drunken sailer) and repeat. Every single step. I try to use old step indentations so the snow walking is less daunting 
comical, now that I have some. 


I hoofed multiple paths
 yesterday and let me tell you yesterdays walk-a-bout kicked my butt!! It was soooo nice out, we just kept trudging along. I wore a windbreaker, and had to take it off because I was too hot! I should be used to going from woolies to windbreakers, but when our weather swings so drastically it catches me by surprise.

Some views of my recent hikes that caused me to pause:



lower pasture path draws me into the trees
I love walking this area!

Once you take the bend, the path Brad (and deer) made gently weaves.
Most of the trees are understated, but it is very quiet and more remote than other areas of our property. Someday, I am going to spend time down there and draw or paint...it calls to me.



we only own a few rows of the pines that border our pastures
but those woods are quiet and rarely used

the light that filters through these pines is magnificent
with a southern sky that is ever changing

these pines are frequently in my photos


our pine woods morph into very different terrain
we under utilized this area, but have plans for it...

I stick to the top path loop with the dogs



looks like a coyote den


evidence of woodpeckers on the lower pine path



most trees have bounced back up on our main trail


except for these trees, they are further down the trail



I thought of Val and her love for lichens
when this papery growth caught my eye
no clue what they are


close-up of what I assume is fungi


woodpeckers are still digging the latest tree 


I can't climb the short steep hill (when it's slippery) to get out of the lower woods so I took a by-pass loop for the first time, it dips down into a valley
I have to backtrack, but that is okay - more time in the woods!


it connects to the Y path


how have I never noticed these little red berries
and why has no wildlife eaten them?


close-up



yesterdays sunset filled me with wonder






7 comments:

Linda said...

You’re blessed to live among such beauty. I can see why you’re drawn out there. It’s your own private forest. We don’t have that much land here and there are lots of homes nearby. We have 60 acres behind us, but the neighbors own it. We almost bought it from them a few years back, but my husband wasn’t interested in maintaining more land. So, I often jump the fence and hike it, since it’s unused.

aurora said...

Thanks Linda. WI pales in comparison to the beauty out West, but our land belongs to us and that makes it beautiful!! We would jump at the chance to buy 60 acres. Depending on the terrain, there is usually some type of basic maintenance involved if you want to use the land. Glad you get to enjoy acreage nearby your home.

Shirley said...

Your treks remind me of the farm we owned in Alberta, 80 acres of trees, pastures and lots of paths.
That is a lovely sunset! One thing we don't get very often here.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a pretty area! That sunset is beautiful! I have to get in the vehicle and drive out of the woods to see a good sunset. Soon it will be nice enough to walk trails again. Some birds will come by and eat those berries! They are very pretty berries what ever they are! :)

Val Ewing said...

The red berries are bittersweet and usually are eaten by now but lucky you to have them to look at! You can pick them late fall and dry them for bunches of color in the house.

The fungi is a variety of Turkey Fan fungi. Those are old and dried up but I still find them so fascinating! What a great eye you have to notice these things!

I hiked with Charlie yesterday and your description of the walk was much like mine. Too wet and sloppy to take snowshoes. In the deep places? The Wobbly drunken sailor walk with hopping tiny dog...

Beautiful photos. I know being outside right now is the thing to be. Enjoy the fresh air!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Your property is gorgeous. You have so many beautiful places to hike and enjoy the scenery and find interesting new things to marvel at. I love a quiet hike and with the dogs along for company only makes it better. Beautiful sunset.

aurora said...

Shirley, it must have been hard to leave a beautiful farm. Good memories & photos help with transitions. It does sound like our property, altho we have less acreage.

Thanks Connie! You live in a beautiful area too. Your State is one of my fav places for photography. One of these days I am going to get up to Ely, even if I have to go alone. Our trees block a good amount of sunset when sun is lower, but I watch for the colors to enjoy while I can.

Val, I figured you could relate to my comical mushy snow walking. Thanks for the berry info, they would look so pretty displayed inside or in an outdoor pot. Turkey Fan fungi is the perfect name for that growth. I wonder how such delicate things stay intact all Winter. Glad you and Charlie got out to soak it in too!

Thank you Arline! Our hiking area's are not huge, but they are varied. To me. It really helps that Brad (and our son) made some prominent deer trails wider and connected the two existing paths. The Main trail and Y path existed when we purchased, both in the pines. We have a couple harder paths left to create connection. The goal is to be able to make the fullest use of our wooded acreage, and be able to trail ride longer at home.