4.22.2021

it must have rained onions

This morning I found the most peculiar thing on what has become my daily walk.


a dog growing in my raised beds

I found something more peculiar than Tank waiting for me in his new spot. Actually, he is waiting for cherry tomatoes. Silly boy! 

I found something on the mowed path that has our large hay field on one side and the Y path woods on the other. It wasn't there yesterday, and is not near a road... 


a smaller yellow onion

It is about half the size of my fist. No teeth or claw marks. The onion skin is completely attached and unmarked. It is clean with no roots, most likely store bought. 

Can you explain where this onion came from? Because I can't. Clearly it must have rained onions.

7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Maybe the onion fairies left it for you! Tank is so sweet and cute.

Shirley said...

I wonder if it is possible that a bird had it and let it drop, it sure is a weird thing to find!
I found something unwelcome in one of my raised beds this morning.... courtesy of one of the cats....

Far Side of Fifty said...

Maybe it fell out of a plane:)

Linda said...

Weird. I can’t imagine any scenario.

aurora said...

Anything is possible but my guess is the onion was dropped/placed there by a human trespasser. I just can't imagine why someone would be carrying an onion (maybe they borrowed one, but location makes no sense) unless it got there intentional for some odd reason. Maybe the wood neighbor kid closest to that area thought it would be funny (or Brad said maybe the kid doesn't like onions, so got rid of it)?

If the onion had any marks on it I would think animal, altho too early for gardens. Perhaps from outdoor cooking, but the onion has zero indentations on peel.

I set a trail cam up not too far from the onion to see if anyone comes back to the "scene of the crime". I hope to catch a fairy fly-by!!

Laura said...

My job requires me to wander round fields, I am always finding strange things but in a similar situation to yours I found a pile of leeks - clean, fresh, clearly shop bought and abandoned in the middle of nowhere!

aurora said...

Laura, I am glad (?) I am not the only one finding weird onions!