4.06.2023

let's play in our sandbox

IF you already follow and have interacted with my blog in the past, then let's play in our sandbox together. Join me in guessing when Cierra's baby will be born! 

Rules-n-stuff, for a once in our lifetime foaling guessing game:


1) Comment with your guess on foaling date/time/sex (and color, just for fun) on this post. Additional guesses can be made if your previous guess date passes.

2) Closest guess from U.S. or Canada will win $50 (U.S. Visa Gift card)

3) Tank will select the winner (on video) if a tiebreaker is needed

4) Feel free to play along, even if you don't want to be gifted a prize. If you are the lucky winner, Tank will randomly choose among ALL contest participants for a winner. Except for whomever doesn't want a prize.

5) Guesses will be displayed on side bar for everyone's enjoyment

6) I want to play too. Rule #4 applies.

7) Your odds of winning are really good! 

..................................

Last night the moon caught my attention and drew me outside. Hanging so bright and pretty between two pines! I grabbed my camera and quickly ran outside without a jacket. Brrrr! It was windy and I was sh-sh-shaking. Very surprised my handheld photos turned out at all. Not my best moon shot, but here it.



April 5, 2023 Pink Moon (rise)


The full moon's mojo had no affect on Cierra birthing. The next full moon is May 5th. She better have a baby before that!

After snapping photos, I found out April's full moon had a name. It was not even a little bit pink. Google says "The pink moon is a nod to the bountiful blooming flowers and trees that the spring weather brings."

..................................

Helpful things to know before you guess:

- Cierra was bred May 5, 2022. She has been pregnant for 336 days today (April 6).

- She is a coming 13 yr old maiden mare

- One gestational calculator put her due date on April 11th +/- 10 days

- According to AAEP (American Association of Equine Practitioners)
It is very normal for mares to carry a fetus for 320 to 380 days. In general 330 days (11 months) is the most commonly cited gestation length. Data and opinions vary greatly. You decide.

- Cierra started bagging up 3/14/23, not much has changed as of this post

- Mama is a Smokey Black. The stud is a Buckskin with a "black type pedigree". Here is my post about the many color possibilities. 
Post was dated 10/12/2020. WOWee, this is one looong awaited foal!! Choosing color (or not) does not affect winning.


Contest disclaimer: We will do our bestest to know the exact birthing time. Default time may end up being when the foal is first found. 

..................................

A few closing photos from our first unforgettable visit with Cierra:


7/2010





Cierra's parents & other mares/foals, all peacefully together in the same pasture



Her parents Dude and Birdee also stole our hearts



(15 seconds)



not sure who chose who


MJK Dudes Dream Girl (Cierra) will be making more dreams come true!!






10 comments:

Linda said...

foaling date/time/sex

April 11th, 10:30 pm, stud colt, buckskin.

So exciting!! The babies are starting to drop! 👏👏👏

Beautiful moon shot. You and Shirley both captured it so well. I wonder if you were both braving the cold at the same time.

Dang, that was an old post with the stallion. What a journey this has been for you guys. Long-awaited and hard-worked for. I hope you enjoy every second of it.

Shirley said...

Oh fun! I finally get to play!
Perlino colt, April 15th, 1:30 am.
Whatever it is I hope most of all for an easy birth and a healthy foal and mama.

Val Ewing said...

Well, I love that last photo of Brad and Cierra. I have to say that! It says everything!

Guess? I say April 15th middle of the night. 2AM.
It will be a baby equine. LOL, filly, buckskin?

aurora said...

YAY, thanks for playing along!! Great guesses!

I am encouraging the husband to play along. Brad does after all follow my blog (silently). If he does guess, Rule #4 would apply.

I am going to wait a bit longer so others get first choice, and then add my guess. We are a small but devoted group, and I absolutely adore sharing blog life with you guys!!

Linda, my moonrise shot was taken at 8:01pm. It is all together possible Shirley & I were shooting the moon together apart. I think that is the coolest thing about the sky. We all share/look under the same sky!!

Shirley, Brad's reaction was funny when he read your color guess. He knows he will love the baby no matter what color it comes out. Nemo taught him that.

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, Brad is not a fan of white horses. Then his beloved Appaloosa Nemo turned into one.

Val, It was super fun looking through those old Cierra photos! I took a lot. We just went to look at an advertised filly, and had no idea if she would become ours. One visit did it for Brad.

Also wanted to mention for anyone who watches the video clip, Brad did not have treats in his hand. Cierra (her barn name at the time was something different) followed Brad everywhere. There were three of us adults and two kids in the pasture with the stud and mares and babies, but Cierra chose him <3

Linda said...

That’s impressive. It would appear Cierra chose him. It makes me very emotional to think of heart horses bringing their babies, and part of themselves, into the world. Everyday I look at Epona I feel it. It doesn’t go away. You will have that, too. It’s just so extremely special.

aurora said...

I can only hope we have that same feeling Linda. It is hard to imagine.

Brad decided to play along: April 14th at 1:00am, filly, smokey black

I added my guess too: April 20 at 12:15am, filly, smokey cream

New guessers welcome, until Cierra has her baby!

Best of Luck to all!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

April 17, 5AM Colt, Buckskin what fun to wait for a baby!

aurora said...

Got you added. I would love for Cierra's baby to be a buckskin colt! Thanks for playing along!!

Shirley said...

Sorry Brad! But with two dilute parents you have a 50% chance of a double dilute! And Perlino is actually a pretty cool colour with the orangey mane.

aurora said...

Congrats to Linda!!

Cierra had her baby (see my "classic signs" post) on Monday, April 10th at 4:21am. We are pretty sure the filly is a buckskin.

Thanks for those of you who played along!!