4.17.2023

day two and a half

First and foremost, thank you all for your endearing comments on my last post. It was a hard one to write and share, but needed for understanding as we move forward. 

This past weekend was Midwest Horse Fair. I am not going to do a separate post about fair this year. There isn't much to tell. We ended up only going one day, for supply shopping. We picked up and 
saved $ on rolls of fencing, hay bags, and new fork heads. Brad needed a new bridle bag and saddle cover. Our only non-essential purchase was a horseshoe garden art hummingbird. I will share a photo another day. Right now it is covered in snow.

It was very hot and sunny (81F) on Friday when we were at the fair. Everyone was melting and seeking shade. By Sunday, Winter had returned in full force. We are covered in snow again and started today in the upper 20's. The snow won't stick around long. Gotta love WI weather swings. 

..............................

Cierra and Hope's first turn out day in the indoor was by far the most interesting!! Everything was new. For both horses and us. Hope cautiously tested out the different flooring on her way to the arena. She was unsure. It only took a day, Hope knows the routine and follows mama right into the arena. I've noticed Hope remembers things after one experience.

Cierra got herself worked up. She did not want her baby to wander far away from her! Hope had other ideas. She is a little stinker!










whaaat? I am innocent.


There was a lot of nickering and Cierra keeping pace. Mama body blocks a lot. This behavior has changed dramatically. Cierra trusts us more and more as each day passes, with her precious baby. She is more relaxed and probably tired. Cierra has somewhat given up on containing the fillies rambunctious energy.




4/12/23 (17 secs)



she runs this way



and that way


and tries all her bustin' out baby moves


the filly takes off, without any given notice


Brad sure is proud of Cierra's filly. Rightfully so. He has been showing everyone we know videos. Our trainer said "wow, she is fast". Another trainer we ran into at fair, who used to put 5-6 babies on the ground each year, commented "wow, she has really long legs". 

I haven't been able to catch Hope going full speed on video. It usually happens the first run. I am behind her and closing gates etc. I agree, she is a fast one.

Cierra rolled and rolled and rolled the first turnout, and wanted to be scratched. A lot.

The sweetest thing I observed was the filly discovering sunlight. Hope is completely obsessed with the sunlight spots that come through the windows. They must feel so good!



4/12/23 (27 secs)








Hope (2.5 days old)

6 comments:

Shirley said...

What an absolutely beautiful filly. Brave and curious- love that in a foal.
Cierra is a typical 1st time mama- they are pretty much gobsmacked the first few days and then they remember to breathe and relax a bit!
Love the video with Brad watching them. It's easy to do that for hours, isn't it!

Val Ewing said...

So curious and fast! Hope is a beauty.

I love their antics especially all the cool moves they have.
I played the videos twice. So good to see a filly feeling her 'oats'!

Linda said...

Cierra is such a good mama. It reminds me a lot of Cowgirl and Epona. Epona ran circles around her mama. I bet you and Brad are going to spend a lot more time in that beautiful barn and arena together! Date nights with your babies!

I would be sharing the photos, too. Honestly, and I hate to say this, but it’s so damn true, people enjoy photos and videos of your foals more than photos of your human children. I don’t know why, but I found it to be 100% true. I would share photos of the grands, and people did love them, but when I shared photos of the baby, Epona, or Tumbleweed, I had double the likes and comments on Facebook and people begging me to show them more. Ha! Whip out that phone because you really are making people’s day.

Linda said...

And oh to be amazed by light beams again and experience life anew like little Hope.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh she is fast! Fun videos! I can tell you are both enjoying the time with her!

Grey Horse Matters said...

My goodness she’s a little speed demon! Such a cutie.