4.20.2023

day five and a half

As of Saturday, Hope is five and a half days old. Our barn routine and lives have been changed forever. It is a big responsibility raising a foal! Of course, Cierra is doing most of her care.



Hope 4/15/23


I worry about the filly's safety, as well as ours. 
What if I inadvertently teach her bad habits? Brad is really good with young horses. He is a natural. A lot of interacting with the young ones is common sense.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Hope is my horse. I continue to periodically try to change Brad's mind...

We talked to the Purina rep at horse fair about when to start supplementing the filly. They recommend around 8 weeks. Hope is not going to be able to wait that long. She has been playing with water buckets and nibbling on the bottom of Cierra's hay bag for days. Doubt she is actually eating the hay and probably not drinking water either. Or maybe she is. She keeps eating sand, and getting called on it. We don't want to rush anything, but this girl is ready to go go grow! Brad plans to eventually put up a creeper feeder. The earliest we've heard is two weeks.

When did you start supplementing your foals?

Also curious, when did you start halter/lead training??

I forgot to mention in earlier posts, that Hope shares a birthday with our three barn cats :)

They turned four and are very curious about her. So are the dogs. Except Jameson (black lab grand dog). He is horse/barn shy for some odd reason. Nothing has ever happened to J that we are aware of. We can't figure it out or get him over it.



Tank hanging out with his cat fan club.
Leo (on a dressage whip) Tinkerbell and Purr
2021



Brad & Leo watching Hope


There isn't a whole lot for the filly to do in the arena, other than run like the wind. A few poles are stacked on the ground against the wall. Apparently they taste good. The soccer ball continues to be a big attraction. Brad has already inflated it twice for the munchkin.



the soccer ball is used mostly for rubbing



lets roll (21 sec)



future soccer player (24 sec)



I lovee the soccer ball



except when it won't roll!



and she is off


catching air



tripod on the fly


So many more photos, so little time. 



caught in the act

As you can see, Cierra is completely ignoring Hope. I think she misses turnout time with her buddies (well, probably not Nemo).

Hopefully Brad can get machinery behind the arena this weekend. The tree he pulled needs to move! I would really like a nice photo with the pines in the background :)



Cierra and Hope 4/15/23


6 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Shirley is the expert on foals... she puts halters on them when they are a few days old. :)

aurora said...

Yes, she is absolutely an expert on all things to do with foals!!

Many people put halters and leave short "catch" ropes on their foals (and naught adults lol). My question was more about leading haltered foals. It would help if I had the word "lead" to my haltering question. It is there now. Obviously each foal differs. Just wondering about when their young minds might grasp the concept. Without a tug of war.

Shirley said...

Love the photos and videos! Keep 'em coming!
I like to halter my foals asap; day 2 or 3, just put it on them but don't pressure them. It works best if mama is haltered too and either tied or if you have 2 people just standing by. Then lead mama and the foal handler can walk beside mama with the foal, who will want to follow mama anyway that way they get used to leading in a natural way. For Hope, probably do this in the stall at first as she will want to zoom out in the arena. After a session or two (and can be in the same day) put gentle sideways pressure and if she gives a wee bit, release. Sideways is easier for them to understand because it causes them to shift balance whereas a straight pull gives them something to brace against.
As far as feed goes, let her eat mama's hay if she wants! I usually don't supplement them until I am preparing for weaning, usually around that 2 month mark for supplementing, as I want them eating feed completely before weaning and it takes at least a couple of months for them to stop depending on mama for nutrition. Mama's milk nutrition starts winding down around then too as the foal gets more and more actual feed. She should be starting to drink water now too, just little bits as she explores it.

Val Ewing said...

Yep Shirley is right on of course.
Our foals were born usually in May in the pasture so they started eating hay and nibbling on grass when it felt right for them.

We had tug of wars until we realized that that didn't work and we just went in circles and sideways gently. Eventually they get it and follow mom.
I even used my dog training methods to teach ol' Badger how to heel while on a lead when he was 3 yrs old. He even learned hand signals.

Anything is possible, have fun!

Linda said...

She sure is fun to watch grow! We started working with the halter early, too. But I consulted with Shirley about every blip and hiccup. She heard a lot from me via email. So funny about worrying about teaching them bad habits. I’m the same way. It almost paralyzed me. I was at a lesson today and consulting with the trainer about whether I’d done enough to start riding Tweed again. She said, is he doing something I’m not seeing? I was like, no, this is how he is. She smiled, closed her eyes, and started shaking her head up and down, like yes, yes, yes. I hopped on and went. Did that cure my fear of screwing him up? No! It doesn’t go away, but we just have to do our best…and reach out for help when we need it.

aurora said...

Thanks all for sharing your experience, especially Shirley! Sideways pressure makes sense and is new to me. Yes release, it is all about timing and the release!

It is very helpful to know what works for others. We combine what we learn with what we know, then try what makes the most sense based on the horse or situation.