4.11.2022

Sunday Sights

Sunday was another beautiful day in the neighborhood! In WI we get outside while the getting is good, especially when there is nasty weather forecasted. 

Before enjoying outdoor time, we started our day with breakfast out and a few errands. Horses needed dewormer and we picked up some soil to refresh our raised veggie beds. Before you can't find any. 

We took a scenic way home. I was surprised how quiet our popular State Park was. The way I remember it in my younger days. In Summer, it will be mobbed and people will be turned away.

The lake was choppy, no boats or birds. Windy weather is not good for spotting wildlife. I had my doubts we would see anything along our drive home. Which is okay. I just enjoy scenic drives with my favorite human.

Birds get hungry, even if the weather is less than ideal. I spotted a hawk. I struggle with their ID. If I get them (or any other ID) wrong, feel free to suggest a correction. It would be awesome if you would share the differences you noticed.



Red tail Hawk

We crossed Lake WI on the Ferry and swung by a couple regular water viewing spots. It was super windy! There were only a few pelicans in the distance bobbing in the white caps. There is usually a large flock that stays through Summer. We almost didn't stop.

I decided to get out and take a closer look. Some pelicans flew in/out, or tried to. It was too funny! I was laughing. Then realized, one really shouldn't have their mouth open with birds flying overhead lol!

Enlarge to notice the interesting beak and eye details.


up, up and away


this flying chicken look-a-like was struggling and headed right at me!



a windy flight out of the bay



American Pelican flying in with the breeze

After that comical experience, Brad took a short boat launch road that I have not been on. I got super excited when I spotted a Kingfisher! I have never seen one in person before. Our conversation went something like:

Me: "Stop! STOP! There is a Kingfisher!!"  I almost jumped out of the truck.

Brad: "Hang on, I can't stop here." 

Me: "Just let me out. Let me out!"

Brad slowly pulls over and turns music down. He knows :)) I get out and quietly semi-close my door. The bird is in the distance and fly's away before I get close enough to take a decent shot. Ugh!! Always. He landed in the trees above the water. 

backside of a Belted Kingfisher

Who knew seeing a bird would make a person so excited. I could still see the Kingfisher. Altho now, he was even further away. I walked to the opposite side of the road, to maintain distance yet attempt to get an unobstructed shot. Almost, but there were branches in the way.

Belted Kingfisher


My wonderful hubby looped the road again. This time he waited for me at the boat launch. I stayed out of the way of a few fishermen heading out. I watched the Kingfisher waaay across the water before I lost his location. If only I brought the darn binoculars! Time to buy a pair and keep it in my camera bag. Any recommendations?

I found it interesting we hardly saw any ducks yesterday.

We headed home and enjoyed our Sunday afternoon outside. I'll share about that in a different post. Hope you enjoyed your weekend!



8 comments:

threecollie said...

Lol, this sounds exactly like our birding trips. Ralph will do whatever it takes to get me on a bird, sometimes even dangerous stuff!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great shots of the Pelicans, I would like yo see a Kingfisher too!

Val Ewing said...

Oh a Kingfisher! That is so great! I think when I realized what I was looking at a while ago when I saw one, I had the same feeling of excitement.
Those flying pelicans look pretty incredible. Excellent shots. They look more graceful in the air than on the water!

Red Tail Hawk? I think so!
In our forest, I can ID them by their call because I can't see them.

When the weather changes, I think your park will be mobbed. I would love to go there one time when there were not a ton of people. Perhaps I can work that out one day ... next spring?

I miss scenic drives where I am free to look around and not watch the road. Brad is a good guy!

aurora said...

I never would have spotted the Kingfisher if I was driving on that narrow side road with no shoulders. I would have been watching the oncoming vehicle. Who knows if I will ever see one again. You can bet I will swing by that spot and look, next time I am in the area.

Funny how birding excitement morphs.

I didn't even know WI had Pelicans just a few years back. I was super excited to find them. They are very common in larger open water now. I promise they won't be featured every Sunday!

Val, I grew up going to swim & picnic at Devils Lake as a Summer treat. I got to know the trails fairly well as a teenager. The harder side would be a tough climb for me now. I haven't actually hiked any of it since my kids were little. The last time I took them they complained the whole time. It was no fun. I only took them back occasionally to swim. That was decades ago. If you haven't been, the view from the top of Devils Lake is absolutely worth seeing.

Shirley said...

Those are great pelican photos! I really enjoyed them!
So cool to see the Kingfisher; I have seen them only occasionally over the years. Elusive little creatures.
Glad you had such a great Sunday!

Linda said...

What amazing photos!! You really caught magic on that trip. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a kingfisher. How cool!! All of the photos are spectacular and deserve to be in publications. Do you submit them anywhere?

aurora said...

Awww, thanks for the huge compliments!

Linda, I have never submitted any of my wildlife photography anywhere. These probably wouldn't make the cut because there is movement in the wings. Which is fine with me, the birds are moving!

Val Ewing said...

I've been to the top of Devil's Lake and the scenery was incredible. I was there when it was so crowded. I've always wanted to walk the other side of the lake as I've only hiked the high side once.

It is on my list of to-dos!