4.14.2022

making it a habit

We have (finally!) started working with our horses regularly. During a recent stretch of gorgeous Spring weather, we rode in the outdoor arena ~ three days in a row!!



Brad riding Cierra
4-9-22

It has been very windy, adding to our dryness. Dried oak leaves whip all over the place. The windiness brought out a couple minor spooks from both Koda and Cierra. There always seems to be one spot in any arena where monsters lurk.

I have been a-walking around trying to loosen Koda up. I miss my walk > trot > lope progression. When I am arena riding, I like to move out. I think Koda does too. I can feel and see him thinking, so is this when we pick it up? Regardless, he is listening really well at our slower pace. It is probably good for both of us. Altho boredom sets in quickly. Our rides are very short. I do a little in hand ground work with him. He hasn't done much in the past, and neither have I. 


We are a slow work in progress. 

I don't have my seat back yet. It has been so long since I actually worked with a horse, getting them back into supple shape. I forgot much of what I learned in my many years of lessons. Some is coming back. I think. On the other hand, Brad has continued weekly lessons for many many years. When we ride, he is a man of few(er) words. He is dialed into his horse, busy doing his own thing.

Lucky for me, my horse is forgiving.

Even when I saddle Koda. Which has been a struggle for me lately. I can barely lift/swing my heavy saddle into the right place. Adjusting it is out of the question. It either has to be placed correctly with minor adjustments, or restart with the saddle pad. When it takes three times, I am cussing like a sailor. Hopefully I will regain saddling mobility soon. For Koda's sake. He just stands there and looks at me. Wondering.


Brad rides much longer

The above photo made me think of Shirley. Thanks for the over the back shot reminder! I saw it and therefore took it, while hand grazing.

As for Koda's recommended weight loss and arthritis, this is where we are at:

Brad tried feeding a large bale a little at a time. Guess what? A split large bale lasted our horses the same amount of time as when it was put out all at once with a slow feed net. Needless to say, we are back to feeding one large bale vs wheeling it out daily in sections. It makes no difference. It is a lot easier feeding IX with a machine vs 10X by hand. 


We both feel what Koda (actually all our horses) need is to move. It is up to us to make that happen.
 


Harmony, Nemo and Cierra L-R

Koda was at the feeder
He is usually part of the nap club and Cierra is at the feeder.

I decided glucosamine would be good thing for Koda to try. There is a ridiculous amount of contradictory information on glucosamine supplements, and just as many products and comparisons and supposed studies. Dose? Also debatable. I should have asked the vet, but my guess is the suggestion will be to refer to the product label. Probably Cosequin. There are variables with that product too.

I just want reliable facts so I can make an educated decision. SO much with any health care is opinion based!! It is mind boggling.

The good news is, Koda does seem to be moving a little better just from regular activity. We have a long way to go, but things are looking up!


Is it supper time yet?

We rode outside again on Sunday, Monday and in the indoor on Wednesday afternoon. We need to work Harmony into our horse plans, or try to get her girl to join us once in a while. She seems to want something to do. 



Don't let Harmony's sweet innocent look fool you.

She easily gets BIG with her redhead personality.

(Leo photo bombed)


We plan to ride with gusty winds again today. Will see when the time comes. It might be another indoor ride.


6 comments:

Shirley said...

I'm always trying to find ways to incorporate at least some part of a horse in a photo :=)
Have you been able to source camelina oil? Beamer gets 2 ounces a day and it has really helped him to reduce inflammation- he moves so much better now. Smart Earth Camelina and Canpresso are 2 companies that sell it and I'm sure they ship to the US. Both their websites are full of testimonials last time I looked. I use Smart Earth.
I am finding I need to get back in riding shape too, after over a year off. My saddle is also really heavy and I have a problem with my right shoulder so I saddle up from the off side; I'm left handed so it's easier to swing the saddle up from there. One of the gents I rode with on Monday is 74, and he uses a pulley to lift his saddle. You do what you gotta for the sake of riding! I am seriously considering looking for a lighter saddle though.
Hope you have many good rides upcoming!

aurora said...

I did read some of the many favorable Camelina Oil reviews on Smart Earth, and bookmarked the site. Thanks for that! I decided to try Glucosamine out first. Our horse fair is next weekend. I am curious what might be offered that relates to arthritis. I plan to keep my eyes open for a good deal on Streamz Bands.

I completely agree! We need to improvise so we can continue enjoying the things we love. Interestingly, it is not only my torn shoulder that is giving me grief. The other one feels worse. Go figure. I think I will be okay once I strengthen the muscles related to that action.

Val Ewing said...

Oh how I am jealous but it is my own fault for not riding on those nice days we had.

So nice that you are getting out with Koda more often. I'm sure he will appreciate the attention and the moving. Kudos for you.
I'm looking at my two fat girls and thinking that they could gain weight on weeds and sticks.

Hopefully your shoulder feels better soon.

Oh Harmony looks so sweet!

Far Side of Fifty said...

No snow there, good for you taking time to ride! :)

Linda said...

Movement is, indeed, the best medicine for arthritis. And that applies to us, too. I was reading one of my old posts, and it was titled making habits, not goals. So, I appreciated the title of your post here, because it really is a habit we are forming. I’ve been out of the saddle for way too long, and your body does forget. I’m concerned I will have to spend some time getting my own “seat back” before Tweed comes home. My trainer’s husband used to be one of the best horsemen I knew. He’s the one who told me never to hold a grudge against a horse because everyday is a new day. He hurt his back being a farrier his whole life and spent five years off horses. He got a new one a few months ago and even he came off. My trainer told me it took him a while to get his seat back, but now it’s coming back to him. So, if even he had to work to bring it back…!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good for you for getting back in the saddle and doing it as often as you can. I haven't actually ridden yet. I have been longeing Rosie every other day to get her in shape. And I've been exercising myself to get back in shape for riding. I'm thinking by next weekend we should both be ready.

I know lifting a saddle up with an injured shoulder can be hard. I had a torn rotator cuff for a while and it wasn't easy or comfortable to saddle Rosie. And that was with an English saddle I can't imagine how much heavier a western saddle is. Maybe you can find a lighter one sometime.

I'm sure all your horses will feel better with the exercise. It's good for arthritis and us too!