10.22.2022

walkin' in the woods

The hour and a half drive to meet gal pal blogger Val at Kickapoo Valley Reserve takes me through small sleepy towns and expansive rolling country vistas.

Much to my surprise, I watched a pair of swans fly up and land softly in a farm pond. I thought swans had migrated. They are more elegant than the pair of loud squawkers that have been hanging around fields at home for several weeks. Perhaps the swans are waiting until after our last wave of Summer weather to migrate south.

I enjoyed an amish woman's friendly wave, as she intently drove her two children to the sounds of a clickity-clack fast paced horse. 

Sights, I don't frequently see.

News flash: I arrived 15 minutes early! 

...................

We hiked a new to me Wintergreen Trail. 

Unfortunately, I forgot my foot brace. Big mistake with such hilly terrain. I knew it would be hard to see footing underneath the crunchy Fall leaves that blanketed the trails. I had to slow my roll. I managed the uneven ground that is full of exposed tree roots without incident. Two days later I am still feeling it, but it was worth it. 

sun lit hillside, high above the trail

Somewhere along the way, Val pulled out her lego toys to photograph. I wandered nearby with my head in the trees. Soaking up the vast woods.


Val and Charlie heading towards a river lookout



quiet river



depth in the woods


I love being in nature, especially the woods. Always nice to share it with a friend. Thanks for hiking with me Val!

4 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Awww ! I love the picture of Charlie and I heading out together. I wasn't even aware he was by my side as he is always all over the place!

Beautiful photos of the Wintergreen Trail and the golden light that was so enchanting.

Hope you recover from the walk quickly.

Shirley said...

That river looks very much like the slow lazy river that borders our farm.
Lovely golden light and always nice to have a friend to share it with!

aurora said...

Val, I will send the pic of you two. A couple days of foot inflammation isn't so bad. The reality is I just can't do sideways/slopes anymore, especially without support. Hey, at least I can still walk!

Shirley, I can't get enough of the amazing light this Autumn. I have more to share :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great photos! I especially likes the one of Val and Charlie!