10.26.2022

sunday funday

On Sunday, Brad asked if I wanted to go out for breakfast and stop at Pewit's Nest afterwards. Why YES!! He must have read my related blogpost .

We took the shorter route to Peewee's (local name for Pewit's) and crossed Lake Wisconsin via ferry. Devils Lake State Park is in route, and provided a gorgeous looong canopy of color to drive through. Color candy as far as the eye can see!

When we arrived, I was happy to find plenty of spots left to park in the small lot.

We hiked up to the top first. I knew the gorge had been restricted, but was shocked at what little was visible from the main trail. At least, the walk up and view is still pretty.

People were rock hopping across the creek down below, inside the gorge. I assume to get to the other unrestricted side. Many folks could be seen walking on the top of the gorge, across from us. Wading 'er rock hopping in the shallow water, is allowed.


top of the gorge
(17 seconds)



looking down into the gorge


my terrible two-see photo
(while 
trying to make Brad smile)


It was a short adventure. We walked back down to the bottom of the gorge.

There was a little girl wading in her rain boots making leaf piles in the water. It was pretty cute, but I kept her out of my camera's view. 



distant view, bottom of gorge


Brad started down one of many winding wooded trails, leading away from the gorge. 



trail to the end of Skillet Creek

I have never explored anything at this park, but the gorge. I am SO thankful we did. The creek bend was stunning, in so many ways.


the hollow across from the creek bend was glowing


creating beautiful tree reflections


everything was a picture



the leaves captured my attention


I was in my kinda photography heaven!! 

When the wind kicked up, leaves were whip-dropping into the water. It created fleeting ripples. I was determined to capture a leaf hitting the water. Ha haa!!! Easier said than done. 

Good thing we had the area to ourselves. I am sure we I sounded silly.

We had us a good laugh! I think Brad was getting tired of me missing leaves as they hit willy-nilly in random spots. I was hoping for a colorful leaf to float gently onto the yellow tree reflection part of the water. Is that too much to ask? Apparently, because at one point Brad tried throwing leaves into the water LOL! That does not count!!

I could have stayed there all day. 

enlarge photos to see natures subtle beauty



I got one! Now to try for a colorful leaf.



leaf two was close, if only it landed to the right


tri-float-ecta 


my favorite leaf shot

This is why I haul my heavy camera & fav mid-range lens on road trips. You just never know when an unforgettable opportunity might present itself.


While I was shooting leaves, birds were flying everywhere. Chirping away and enjoying the unseasonably warm Summer-like weather. 



dipping



creek ends towards the right



Skillet Creek angry rock face (profile)
at the very end of the creek

Most likely yelling at those who disrespect this precious land.

It has been a while since Brad & I rambled along country roads together. It has been even longer since we explored nature's trails away from home together. Needless to say, Sunday was a Funday!

It made my heart happy and surpassed my yearning for Fall photography.

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Totally lovely! Everything; the bonding time with your husband, the lovely photos and even the silliness. Great day!

Val Ewing said...

How much fun is that? Wow, what beautiful shots of Pewitt's Nest. If you had called it PeeWee's, I would have wondered how you got on my neighbor's land. LOL, that is what we call it from the old fella everyone called PeeWee.

Just stunning photos of the leaves in the water and reflections. Just wow...wow.
Good to see you got hubby out too! Nice!

Linda said...

You are capturing some Autumn magic on your hikes. So many of these could be beautiful prints on the wall. They are stunning, and I’m sure don’t even capture the full beauty of what you experienced.