7.13.2021

making new habits

We thought about it, talked about it, wanted to do it, and just didn't make it happen. Until today. It was hot and dusty, but we planned on it - so we rode anyway. It felt good, to just do it. We are going to **try** to make it a habit to ride at least two days a week at home. 

What a difference from last years restart!! I did everything with Koda myself, and way more than I planned on. Even tho I had my doubts. When Koda is good, he is golden. I was amazed with my boy tonight!! After eight-ish months of not being asked to do much of anything but lead to/from the barn, he did every single thing I asked. Without testing or complaining.

I fumbled around tacking Koda up, and he just waited. We were the first one out to the arena, and walked up one side and down the shaded half of the outdoor in hand first. Then moved onto a super short lunge session. We did a little over two circles each direction. Walked one circle, trot a little, lope a little, back to a trot, walk and whoa for the second-ish circle. Switch sides and repeat.

Koda did all the transitions the second I asked. It has been eight months, who is this horse? and where did sassy pants go? I was pleasantly surprised.

Somewhere along the way, Brad & Cierra had joined us in the outdoor. I watched them long enough to snap one pic and think to myself, it was really nice to see them riding together again. Cierra looked good.


Of course I decided to ride Koda. We kept that part short too. I didn't even go around the whole arena. We worked smaller circles around the mounting block at a walk (both ways) backed once, and tried circling at a trot. That felt all kinds of odd. Koda's trot is choppy to begin with, but I stopped trotting shortly after we started. He did nothing wrong, I just didn't like how stiff he felt. We bent side-to-side loosening up a little, and decided to head out of the arena. 


My plan was to ride around the exterior of the arena, and then dismount. He was being so good I could have easily taken him for a trail ride, but wanted to keep today's interaction short and sweet. Koda side passed over to the gate latch like he did it every day. We rode outside the arena, ducked under a tree branch that need trimming, and dismounted. I love my horse!!
 

 

good boy Koda

6 comments:

Val Ewing said...

That is so wonderful! It was a perfect night for riding too!
I bet it felt better than best and good for you and Koda!
Bet you were smiling !

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good for you! Happy for you that you had such a good experience your first time back. What a good boy he was. He must have missed you riding for the past eight months.

Linda said...

What a wonderful ride! And, it was contagious! You've blessed to share a love of riding with Brad. That is something the two of you can do together all year round, with your new indoor arena. I think it's always good to end on a positive note, when developing a habit. Both for him, and you. I'm trying to do the same--develop a habit with Tumbleweed. I am, strangely, very satisfied with a non-riding relationship with my horses--as I'm sure you are, too--but the riding takes it to a new level of communication and communion. The trust, the thankfulness after a good ride--the heart opens up in a different way. Hard to explain. I think that is why my love for Cowboy is so deep. When I look at him, I see the years and years of effort to become a partnership--sometimes, in scary situations that I can hardly remember now, but that are very much wrapped up in the intensity of my emotion for him.

Shirley said...

A great start! I'm a fan of keeping it sort and sweet; too easy to ask too much and regret it later.
Nice that you and Brad ride together; I miss having my husband come on rides with me.

aurora said...

It is so nice to share the joy with others who truly get it, thank you <3

We would have ridden in the indoor yesterday, if only it was done. It was a lot cooler in there! I wouldn't be riding at home at all, if it wasn't for Brad. I am very thankful he rides with me, and helps me work through things when I get stuck. I rode before I met him, but if I had to ride alone it would be somewhere else with others. You guys all have your own equine at home, and know it is the best.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah! For a good ride on a good horse!