7.07.2021

a class of their own

After a recent hot hike in our Amazon-like woods, I realized we had a wider variety of wild mushrooms growing than I previously thought. I found them growing just about everywhere, including our lawn.

Out of curiosity, I tried to ID the ones I found recently with Google images. I also checked an online WI mushroom resource. The online site is as complex as mushrooms are, and none of what I found looked like an exact match. The rapidly evolving stages of a mushroom add to the challenge. 
They quickly pop up after a rain, and disappear just as fast. Here one day, gone the next.


If you are interested, take a look at my most recent 'shroomy finds: 


two lips

what I would name this mushroom, found growing in our lawn

(m. curly lushlipous)


two lips cousins?

perhaps the curled up edges are a survival stage, from a lack of water



found growing in the woods on a decaying oak
(broken branch)



I walked right over this tiny group of mushrooms
and turned back for a quick pic of their cuteness

they were maybe 2" high
huddled together all by themselves in the middle of a path



typical shape with cool edge coloring



Brad spotted these while he was mowing

I found a bunch of them last year, the tops get really red


look at the spongy yellow side on this big 'ol mushroom

I think it is the same as the mushroom above, but with the top sunk in



coolest mushroom find to date

enlarge to see the interesting detail on these tiny mushrooms!

I tried hard to ID this last one and found several possibilities
that say it is considered a delicacy


Mushrooms seem to be in a class of their own. I don't really need to ID them, I'll never remember the names. Unless they are common, like "two lips"!! They sure are fun to find and the detail/texture on them is amazing.






7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

They're interesting looking. I wouldn't eat any of them though. My grandmother's would know which ones were poisonous but I wouldn't. So I just admire from afar and buy them in the grocery store.

aurora said...

I wouldn’t eat them either. It sure was fun discovering them on my walk.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I follow a fellow blogger in Iowa who collects mushrooms...he is very interesting!

aurora said...

He must be busy, there seems to be endless varieties.

Shirley said...

Two lips- hahaha! Perfect!
The only ones I will eat from the wild are morels. They are delicious!

aurora said...

I have never tried morels, or found any of them growing.

Val Ewing said...

Those reddish ones are some sort of Russula of which there are tons of species. I don't know the good from the bad either, but love to photograph them.
I'm digging all the slugs that are out and about too!

Two lips. Man those are cool.