7.20.2021

happy to be back

I think Koda is happy to be back to riding this year. He has behaved and responded perfectly, not once, not twice, but three times. A girl can't ask for more than that. I know his silly antics will show back up, but I am thoroughly enjoying my time with him. I for sure, am happy to be riding again!

Our first ride was short, sweet and rewarding. Good training gets you a horse that remembers cues and manners, even after 8 months off.

Two days later we attempted a second ride, a
s planned. We got some decent rain the day before, and it brought out the bugs that need moisture. It was hot and humid, flies were relentless. The friggin' little biters were all over Koda's legs and under his belly, even tho I sprayed him right before we rode. He is a hot box sweaty kinda boy that attracts insects.

Koda tried for me, but the flies were so distracting. They were making me mad. After a short 12 minutes, I got off. I just don't enjoy riding under those circumstances. More importantly, I don't think it is fair to ask Koda to pay attention and do XYZ, when he is getting bit over and over. Not to mention, the flies were biting me too. So much for the riding plans I was striving for that day. Sigh.

I turned my boy back out, while Brad and Cierra continued riding. The flies must not bother her as much as Koda, or she i
s just used to working through it. Heat, humidity and biting flies. No thank you. I realize flies are biting the horses out in the pasture too, but they have the option to get away.

We agreed to try riding again the next day, 
earlier. I am not a morning person. I get up early (around 6am) but early mornings don't work well for me to do challenging things. It takes me a while to really be awake. It is just how I am wired. Besides, everything is wet with copious amounts of dew. 

For our third ride last week, we tacked up late morning. It was already hot, but not as humid. I decided to skip lunging. I was glad I did. Koda doesn't need lunging. I do a little just to find out where his mind is, and he can get some blood flowing before he has to carry me around.

We had another great ride in the outdoor arena! Walking, stretching, trotting, forehand turns, side passing over L shaped poles, and even a short amount of loping. He framed up and got the correct lead right away, both directions. Good boy Koda!! I didn't ask him to lope far, because I am not a light load and prefer easing into riding. I had already added a lot to this ride. He did everything I asked the first time, but I wanted to ride longer...so, we headed out for a nice field ride :))

We rode across one field, over the concrete driveway, past the farm equipment, towards the big hay field. A section of it borders the neighbors backyard, as well as the road. Um, I wasn't so sure about riding over by the road.
Brad mows a path around all our fields. We were a good safe distance from the road. A big ol' horse trailer drove past us. We wondered who they were, as we waved and continued along our path and onto other fields.

When we passed our pines, Koda wanted to head into the woods. Or maybe that was me. We have to do some serious tree branch trimming before that can happen. Soon, I hope. Really looking forward to riding among the pines again!!

Koda & Cierra
7.17.21


5 comments:

Shirley said...

Summer is challenging for riding! Heat, humidity and bugs are not conducive to a relaxing ride. But glad you are managing to get some quality rides in on your Koda!
Yay you!

Val Ewing said...

That is so great! Whoot! The bugs were ferocious yesterday with the heat and muggy air. Lots of rolling and running into tall brush with our equine.

Koda is a sweety!

Linda said...

You’re off to a great start, and listening to the horse you have, not the one you think you should have. They’re all so individual. I hate biting flies. One attacked Cowgirl the other day, in turnout, and she went nuts. So did baby. In fact, Epona ran over our tripod sprinkler and broke it to bits. Luckily, she wasn’t injured. But my daughter and I were shocked at how aggressive the horse fly was. It kept coming back for more. So, yeah, they can be dangerous.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The horse flies have been bad here and their bites hurt so bad. I am so glad you did get a good ride!

Grey Horse Matters said...

So happy to hear you’re getting to ride Koda and he’s being such a good boy. I hate the summer heat,humidity and bugs. Can’t wait for the Fall every year. Keep riding and having fun with your boy.