5.01.2023

haltering

We started introducing Hope to a halter at 12 days old. First with Cierra's smaller filly halter, and then with Hope's even smaller halter. Photos & video of day one were shared in link above.

Brad rubbed the new halter
 on Cierra, to give it a familiar smell before introducing the new one. Hope was doing well with accepting the new blue strappy thing. She would stick her face in it and allow Brad to hold the strap across her nose. It was time to take the next step. Brad put Cierra's halter on, while Hope watched. Then it was Hope's turn.


4/27/23 (11 sec)

He tried putting the halter further up her head and got an instant scoot away. Like many horses, Hope is sensitive around her ears and reaching across her upper neck. Silly me to think haltering would be easier. Not with this girl. 

We wanted to have enough connection to not warrant a fleeing reaction when haltering her. It should be a positive calm experience, not a manhandling situation. We clearly don't have enough of her trust. Not for the lack of trying.


Daily progress had been made with her ears and reaching across her neckHope was letting me run my cupped hand up over her closest ear with frequency. I was working with allowing her far ear to also be briefly stroked, without pulling away. I never achieved that. She has decided both ears are off limits. The main reason I mentioned feeling like we have taken a step backwards in my last post.

Working with horses is a constant ebb & flow.


Brad working with the halter again
4/27/23

We may need to make their stall smaller. Brad would have more than one corner/wall to assist. He hasn't tried that yet. Perhaps removing Cierra and having her right outside the stall would help. We also might try strapping the halter loosely closed, to just slip over her head and tighten later. I highly doubt we will be able to calmly strap the halter on Hope the first time she gets haltered. That would be ideal. Haltering will happen one way or another. 


No one said raising a foal was going to be easy.

I've only watched a few haltering videos and found contradiction. Like everything horse. Approach and retreat. Don't approach and retreat. Wait until they are two-three months old. Halter asap. I watched one of Warwick Schiller's video's working with a young colt. So far he makes the most sense. I am not a video person, but will probably make myself watch more.  


Side note: I dislike how huge the halter hardware is for the young ones. We tried rope halters with Koda & Nemo. Neither Brad nor I care for them, although they are more fitted.
 


"yes Hope, you need to wear one of these"
4/27/23



8 comments:

Linda said...

Dear Lord, don’t get me started today about ebb and flows. I’ll write a post on it, I hope, but you already know the gist of it. I had a long, long day at the trails. However, the lesson to be learned is that there are many ways to achieve the same goals, and we need to find the most pleasant—for them, and us. What do we need to do? How do we get there and nobody be hurt sin the process? Videos are great, but horsemanship is such a creative process. And scary. And discouraging. Then happy. Then hopeful. Then scary again.

Warwick Schiller is a great resource. I watch any and all !! And I love my trainers !! I want to learn as many solutions as I can to this thing we call “horsemanship.” (And I don’t want to get hurt!)

Val Ewing said...

We do use rope halters, but hubby made them for our mules. It was nice to have a halter on under the bridle while mucking about through the wild woods.

I'm glad you guys are just doing it a bit at a time. Each equine is so different that you just adjust to their personality. [I think?]

I have no advice on this but am enjoying your process.

aurora said...

Linda, I clearly remember the spectrum of feelings that surface especially during those first Spring rides. Especially when our Appy's were young. These days it is much less, but resurfaces any time we are restarting. At any age.

Blogging helps me sort out my swirling thoughts. As for seeking solutions with ever changing horse scenario's, we figure out adjustments in realtime. You have to, many are spur of the moment. I mentioned similar creative processing to Brad last night.

Val, I think most who follow this blog use rope halters. I do like what they offer, just not in a stressful situation.

Horsemanship does not all fit in one can, and neither do horses.

Brad had his lesson with Padame last night. He was chatting with our trainer about trying to halter Hope. "We work with the babies the same way...sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do".

Val, Our horses also wear halters (and tied lead rope) when trail riding away from home - and sometimes even at home. Much better option when one needs to dismount and walk in hand. I agree with adjusting to their different personalities.

I know Shirley really likes Warrick's training methods. Here is the video I watched that resonated with me (not about haltering): https://youtu.be/hAHxCCk3yMg

aurora said...

Ha haa! I should have re-read my comment before posting. Apparently my mind got sidetracked while responding to Val *^*

The stuff in between "Val...and Val..." was meant for everyone. Someday I will redo my blog so I can respond individually!

Shirley said...

Everyone has to do what works for them.
I prefer soft rope halters for foals, and I make my own custom fit to size. I also get them used to my arm around their neck and pet their face with my other hand. Some foals don't mind, some take exception to it.
One way to immobilize a foal that isn't stressful to them is to catch them with an arm around their chest and hold their tail up with your other hand. Funnily enough it seems to relax them. Do that a few times before you add in haltering them. It's also useful if you have to doctor them for any reason.
If you have the patience to wait for them to allow you to put the halter on nose first it may take a while! They seem to be more accepting of the process if you bring the halter up from underneath with your arm over their neck holding the poll strap.
Whichever way you do it, it will be a way to get to know your filly even more!
And the dance usually is one step forward, two steps back, and then one day it will be two steps forward! So much fun working with the babies.
And yes, WS has great insight and methods. His videos are so worth watching.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm sure you and Brad will eventually get Hope to accept the halter. I know nothing about this but I wish you luck with the little cutie.

aurora said...

Getting an arm (or even a hand) around the top of Hope's neck continues to be a work in progress.

I started watching a video that used the colt's tail. Brad used to do the tail restraint thing on the family farm with calves/cows. We have made some nice progress the past few days towards haltering Hope (actually me, if you can believe it!). I can see where immobilization would produce a calming effect, although I've never thought of it that way.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Patience! It takes a bit to build the trust...it will all come together sooner or later:)