5.15.2023

bad hair day

I walked outside between yesterdays sprinkles and felt something looking at me.


5/14/23

"Well, hello little one! Are you okay?"

At a distance, I walked to the left and then right. The little birds head turned to follow whatever direction I went. Thought perhaps it was stunned. The bird had strategically perched out of the light drizzle.

Something was odd about it's head.

There are two little tuffs sticking up on either side, above the birds eyes. I went inside to grab my camera, thinking no way the bird is going to still be perched on the chair. It stayed put!

With a profile view, you can really see the tuffs sticking out!



bad hair day or horns?

I left the little bird in peace and went inside. Trying to remember the name of the bird that has horns. Hmmm? My online search revealed this young bird doesn't look much like any of the images I found of Horned Larks:



"Juveniles can be confusing, they are messy looking, grayish brown with bold white spots and scallops on the upper parts"




(above three images are borrowed screenshots)


Maybe? I did find other images of baby Horned Larks online with a striking resemblance. However, I can't say for sure. The beak looks more like a different type of (house?) sparrow to me.

I find bird ID very difficult. Especially the juveniles.

What do you think? Horned Lark or bad hair day?

I am going with bad hair day.

Either way, it was a fun little Mother's Day visitor!



4 comments:

Shirley said...

It's a juvenile.... uh juvenile! No idea but it's cute in a grumpy looking way.

Val Ewing said...

What a great visitor just for you.

I have such a hard time ID'ing birds I am not familiar with. But I still enjoy seeing them and watching them.

It looks like what you ID'd though!

Linda said...

Hard to tell. It’s so small. Looks like you’ve made a new friend.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Baby birds are hard to identify! Possibly a Horned Lark, it is a pretty bird!:)