3.17.2023

signs of spring

For some reason, I flip-flopped my day yesterday and did chores first. Not sure that was the best decision, or maybe it was. I might have missed welcoming signs of spring.


Leo & Tinkerbell hanging out (together!) in the warmth of the saloon.

Tinkerbell has decided our barn is a good place to live. Leo is okay and humans are fun to harass when doing chores. She is still inside every single morning and waiting for us all but a few evenings.

No doubt Tinkerbell will choose to go on extended safari's when the weather warms up, but hopefully not for another 4+ months! 
She keeps us laughing and shaking our heads. Definitely the craziest of our kitties. I love cats, they add sooo much to our lives.


Tinkers being lovable on the cat throne


I wish I had checked for an updated weather forecast. Hind sight is always 20/20. If only I had walked the dogs first -or- waited for the rain to stop. Who knew when/if that would happen during daylight. It did, right when we got back home. LOL. Go figure.

I don't melt (much) and the labs are water dogs, so off we went trudging through consistent rain.



the labs & I got soaked

Tank kicked up what I am almost certain was a quail. It might have been a female Spruce Grouse, but it looked most like the Northern Bobwhite below. I was so excited!! I've never seen either on our land. Wish I was 100% sure so I could add this unique (to me) bird to my list.




Just a few feet further into the pines, I saw a pop of bright yellow!! 




I was also surprised to see many of my spring bloomers peeking out. Alliums, tulips, iris, daffodils and crocus ~ oh my!!!






waiting for spring is hard

(tank and granddogs remi & jameson) 



5 comments:

Shirley said...

Yes waiting for spring is excruciating! As I wake up to yet another -20 C morning and stare gloomily at the 2 ft. of snow....
The good news is we have plus temps coming all week, although the nights will still be double digits below. This weekend will be lovely!
I miss my dogs and whenever I see ads of border collie pups I have to scroll on by....

Linda said...

We were in the mid-50’s yesterday. Warmest day so far. I can’t believe your bulbs are coming up already! That is a definite sign of spring! I saw two sparrows in my barn yesterday, and they seemed to be scouting out a nest. I also saw my first robin here at our place, also scouting. And, a fly banged into my face as I was walking. A fly! It was probably some weird mutant fly who was a bit wonky from the cold.

That burst of yellow was kind of like finding treasure on your wet walk. There’s so little color right now. But it’s changing fast.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have green stuff!! there is hope:)

Val Ewing said...

You found witch's butter fungi! It looks like fall's leftovers, but still so yellow and delightful!

Rain. I missed going out in it on Thursday but your photos are so beautiful.
The daffodils by the house are poking up through the leaves next to the house.
We still had ice all over the place from Thursday's rain.


aurora said...

Shirley, hope your doggie friends help fill that void, just a little <3

Yay for warming up Linda! Those random crazy diehard flies...how do they even survive, and for so long? It is fun watching for the migrating birds :))

I have no idea how the bulb/rhizome tips survive being exposed in the Spring. We have been +/- 20F damp & windy for days, brrrr! The area in my photo faces south & is warmer. Most everything is still dormant on our land.

Yes, welcome signs of hope Far Side!

Val, the rain must have revived the witch's butter. It looked so fresh, like bright translucent jelly. I noticed some old ground fungi coming back to life recently.