3.02.2023

orchid escape

In the midst of the rain and ice gloomies, I decided to immerse myself in the tropics. No, I did not actually go to the tropics. Although that would be nice. I did the next best thing, and visited Olbrich Gardens Bolz Conservatory. It is a tropical wonderland!

I used to take my kids when they were willing littles. I've soaked in all the various glories this garden haven offers, inside and out. Mostly with my mom. I have not gone back since we were last there together.

Olbrich has expanded in so many ways. They draw crowds with many unique fundraising events and charge for most everything now. The outdoor gardens remain free most of the time. One of the long running seasonal displays my mom & I enjoyed together is now called "Orchid Escape". 

I used to be an orchid collector. I had a small collection of 19 various orchids at one time. I didn't offer what the needy things require to grow and rebloom. Humidity trays and misting only do so much. They all eventually perished. I only grow the easier common Phalaenopsis orchids now and enjoy the more exotic orchids elsewhere.

Wish I could share the warmth, sounds and scents of my tropical get-a-way.

I found the conservatory buzzing with eager children and educating parents. A few kept busy redirecting young ones. Practicing patience. Been there. The squeals of young delight, just add to the wonder of the atmosphere.

There were birds chirping and free flying overhead, koi swimming in flowing streams, waterfalls and constant eye discoveries. Many pairs and small groups of adults, having in-depth conversations about who knows what. There were many silent types too. Women still life drawing, meditators, students and others soaking up the serenity. Like me. 

The layout and lush vegetation magically drowns out noise.

If you are also in need of an escape, think warm and take in a long scroll. A tiny portion of the marvel of nature thriving in the Bolz Conservatory. There was a cute theme to the Orchid Escape display. The ** reflects my favorite finds.



a unique vibrant purple **






where fruit grows, even in the Winter


sooo many patterns


massive Epiphyllum (epi) Cactus growing waaay up in a tree

I have an epi that blooms big gorgeous red flowers. I started it from a single section of stem my old neighbor shared. He was my gardening mentor and a Master Gardener. Paul donated the mother epi plant. I've seen it displayed seasonally at Olbrich conservatory :))

waxy sweet scented Dendrobium
growing and hanging out of a wooden basket



Coturnix Quail roam free.
They are native to Asia and help with insect control.





Devis Tongue

One of several dark weird blooming stinky plants. No I did not take a wiff, but it was comical watching those that did. Pyoo!!


tightrope walker adorned in orchids


Cycas seemanii from the Pacific Islands


Cochliostema from Ecuador
(was more of a vibrant blue)


strong man ('er woman?) pressing huge orchid baskets


Costus
grows from Mexico to western South America


Peacock with orchid plumes



hot air balloon adorned with orchids


a seal being playful with orchids


some type of pitcher plant



elephant orchid displays were a big hit



small elephant


big elephant


tropical sounds provided by Yellow Canaries



finally spotted a Waxbill waay up high
(backside view)







Renanthera was a very popular orchid







chocolate scented tiny blooms






Guinea Chestnut tree bloom**

This cool bloom was near the ceiling, in a huge sea of green. I spotted it while walking the upper level deck.


notice the white on the fern frond, with um legs
(probably a mealybug)


snnniffff, ahhhhh

a long cascade of deliciously smelling Cymbidium orchid blooms **



7 comments:

Linda said...

That had to have brought back so many comforting memories of your mom. I love going to our local conservatory, but it’s so tiny, only 2 rooms.

We have a sunroom in our home where I’ve overwintered my Rio, geraniums, and banana plant that is actually not a banana plant, but I forget its real name. They’re doing okay, but not great. I just put grow lights on them to perk them up.

I love orchids. They’re so beautiful!! The purple is my favorite. Lovely!

The one I got from my dad’s funeral is still blooming and doing well. I was photographing it a lot this week. They’re magical flowers.

aurora said...

I definitely thought about my mom a lot. It felt good to be there again. If I lived closer, I would become a member and go more often.

Our conservancy isn't that big either. One large two story room. However, the winding multi level layout makes it feel more expansive.
I assume the smaller sized tropical buildings are because of the controlled environment.

I honestly don't know how they maintain it. Inside orchids are so prone to pests and rot, especially in a closed humid environment. Although they swap them out, and hold a sale. I thought about going to the sale lol. If I had a sunroom, I might give a couple of the easier scented orchids a try again. Although they don't bloom as often or as long as the more common ones.

There are sooo many orchid varieties! Truly beautiful & so unique. I love that purple one too.

I am glad your dad's remembrance orchid continues doing well <3

Val Ewing said...

That is an amazing place that I have not been to yet. It is on my to do list.
Have you ever been to Mitchell Park Domes in Milwaukee? I was there once a very long time ago and it was pretty neat too. That is another place I want to get back to.

Can I say I'm GreeN with jealousy? What a great place to wander and take photographs. You did a wonderful job only you should have made your photos 'scratch and sniff'!!!

Those elephants are so cool too. I think I would have just gone and hid in the plants and stayed there all night....

Beautiful, stunning.... and such a great way to break up the gloomies!

aurora said...

Yes, I've been to the domes in Milw. several times throughout the decades. Gee, I sound old lol! I went as a kid, took my kids, chaperoned etc. I would like to get back to visit as a photographer, with time to stop every 2 feet for another photo :))

I've been to Olbrich a lot more, because of proximity. It is about 20-ish minutes from my old house. Visits include going once the CC photo group. It is where I first learned more indepth stuff about Macro. I thought about bringing my extension tubes. I was surprised how busy it was for a Monday. I usually take in both indoor & outdoor gardens.

I lost track of time and wished for more to spend just hanging out in the lush tropical environment. I walked through it about 3X and took some bench breaks to soak. Including the cove off the beaten path by the big elephant :)

Orchid Escape was a circus theme this year. There were more related displays then I shared. This month the conservancy is being adorned with Spring Flowers. Must be a fun place to work!

Shirley said...

What a beautiful place to go to refresh! So many lovely flowers and patterns in the foliage, and imaginative displays! I bet it smelled heavenly even if the scent was just from the greenery. The Guinea Chestnut tree bloom really caught my eye and the Cycas seemanii photo for its striking patterns and depths is one ov my favourites.
Thanks for sharing!

aurora said...

There was a light perfume-y smell wafting in the air. Thanks to the orchids. I overheard several comments about the welcome pleasant scent offered, without sticking ones nose by a flower. Which I did frequently lol. The conservatory can understandably smell musty with other less fragrant displays.

I was so excited about spotting the tree bloom!! I highly doubt many noticed it. It was only visible from a second story connecting walkway, and at a great distance. I was thankful I chose to photograph with my zoom lens, and use my phone for closer plants.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a great outing in the middle of winter!! I loved seeing all the photos!