3.15.2023

mixed bag

What an interesting time of the year this is. Waiting (and waiting) for Spring. Full of so much anticipation. Along with the traditional mixed bag of weather. The mixed bag has an uncertain grip on us. Shaping our days and minds.


Harmony and Nemo
3/12/23

Some days seem full. Others not as much. The latter finds me
asking "what am I going to do with this one beautiful day?". Fully knowing, we are not promised tomorrow.

Change continues revolving around me at a dizzying pace. Many friends and family are seeking clarity with all that ails them. I try not to dwell on what cannot be changed, but change itself does make me think. A little too much. 
Mostly about the future. 

I try to live in the moment, but am not very good at it. 
Clinging to what is familiar, or the memories. Until they softly fade away. Sounds sad. The reality is, we too shall become a distant memory. As generations pass, not even that.

I started reading books again. They distract me from what one could perceive as life's heavy thoughts.

2023 books I've read to date include Mad Honey, Hello from Heaven, House in the Pines, Then She was Gone and I am half way through Daisy Jones & The Six. Already a record reading year for me, without even trying. I would probably read more, except I feel guilty unless it is late at night.

Have you been reading any good books?

I have also read half of The Menopause Diet Plan. I really need to finish! 
It is an informative health book (not an actual diet) written by two registered dieticians. 

If only I could be more like our horses & dogs, who always live in the moment.

Speaking of horses, Brad has been checking Cierra. Last night, after bringing the horses in he said she was starting to bag up. I said "no way" and looked myself. Um, yah. I guess we are getting closer to doing this foaling thing.

It seems early. If I counted right, yesterday was
 day 313* of Cierra's pregnancy. I read if bagging happens too early, it is considered a concerning sign. Online resources vary greatly on this topic in general. I found time frames for mare's starting to bag up, ranging from days to 4-6 week windows and everything in between. I think Cierra bagging up is normal. 

*recounted & changed to correct day


starting to bag
3/14/23

We swapped Nemo & Koda's stalls. Nemo seems more irritated lately. We noticed a big increase with him kicking and ear pinning etc towards Cierra. She doesn't need or deserve that. Nemo does similar to Koda, but not nearly as much. Koda is in between them now, and our barn seems to have regained calmness. 

When it is closer to foaling time, Cierra will move across the aisle to the double stall. We plan to shift the other horses (stalls) closer to her.



3/14/23

I've been thoroughly enjoying our snowfall this past week. If we can't have Spring yet, then why not. I snowshoed in the woods several days in a row, then switched to trackers. Easier to navigate the mixed bag of snow/ice/bare ground on our trails. Tomorrow's predicted rain is going to make a big ol' mess out of everything. Again.

The early morning bright light was so beautiful yesterday! It lured me outside in the freezing cold. Everything was sparkly and backlit. So pretty! I only took a few photos before heading back to warmth.




What the camera didn't pick up, was the
sun kissed pinkish-purple ice reflective tones and the hope that a sunrise offers.


sun rising across from our house
3/14/23



10 comments:

Shirley said...

Uncertain weather seems to be abounding in this tail end of winter. We are getting temperature swings of 20 degrees Celcius in a day. -21 this morning, -2 this late afternoon. (eyeroll)
I always wish I could capture the sparkling of the sun on snow but it rarely works.
320 days is considered the mark for a viable foal. Sometimes with a maiden mare, they will start to bag up, then it will go down, then back again....
I did have a mare foal at exactly 320 days once. The only notable thing about him was that his hair coat was finer and shorter than most foals.

Val Ewing said...

That frosty morning was incredible and I had the nastiest headache in the world when I should have been exploring!

However you captured it so beautifully!
I got out yesterday with Charlie to KVR on the Wintergreen Trail. You would have loved the difference the winter makes of it!

I recall waiting on Cheyanne for her first foal [Sunshine] and watching her every morning, noon, evening. It was so exciting. I bet you guys are excited too!

Books? I read 5 last week but they were just run of the mill murder mysteries. I read them while resting.

Live in the moment. I do that every time I get out and hike.... good plan.
The past is done and I cannot change it.

So what is The Menopause Diet Plan about? Something I probably should have read when I was doing the hotflash thing.... too late now?

aurora said...

Good to know about the fluctuation with maiden mares, and the viable mark. I am always learning new things from you. Thanks Shirley!!

5 books in one week? Holy cow Val, you are a voracious reader! I typically read a chapter a day, sometimes less sometimes more. I picked up the women's (menopause) health book from my community health pharmacy because I tire of all the contradictory online info & health app hype.

Short description is "a natural guide to managing hormones, health & happiness". I got it as a health guide. It covers and gives solid advice (and what worked for them) with things aging women may come across, in an easy to read format. They address cancer, bone health, moods, dementia, supplements & food choices etc. I haven't gotten to the recipe & food tip part. Some is familiar, but I am learning and already have a question for my DR.

Glad you got out to explore the wintery sites on the Wintergreen Trail!

Linda said...

I read a menopause diet book back when I first started mine, and it immediately reversed hot flashes. I never had them again. The book I read was called, The Menopause Makeover. I interviewed the author back when I hosted a podcast. It was fascinating and timely.

I’ve been reading books about Ash Wednesday lately. I’m in a phase of self-reflection and symbolism, a juncture of sorts.I want to live my life to the fullest, better support the people I love, and yet hold life more lightly, too—if that makes sense.

Walks in nature are so uplifting. Every time! Rain or snow or sun. And I have been hearing more song birds lately! Spring is coming, and it will be glorious!!

Linda said...

Oh, and I also remember Cowgirl bagging early, which made us worry about a too early delivery. But it turned out okay. She kept Epona in until it was safe to deliver. Whew! But it is all soooo exciting!! Enjoy every minute, and give Cierra lots of loving.

aurora said...

Make perfect sense to me Linda. I could have benefited more from reading the "diet/health" book earlier, but it is serving it's purpose.

Good to know Cowgirl did similar, and everything turned out okay. Sounds like a common maiden mare thing.

Val Ewing said...

I am a voracious reader of novels which is my father's fault. He would give us paperbacks to read while we were travelling to keep us busy. I grew up on a diet of Louis L'Amour and Edgar Rice Burroughs along with other cool science fiction novels.
Winter evenings are my reading time.

Thanks for info on the book.

aurora said...

Oh my gosh, Louis L'Amour!! Brad was very much into reading his books in our earlier years. I have a long list of which ones he read, in an effort to not gift dups. He caught that reading bug from his dad too. My father-in-law is in his 80's now and recently gave Brad boxes (and boxes) of his western books. Many are old hard covers. I never got into western books.

Val Ewing said...

I was going to grow up as a cowboy so I loved those books of course.

I read everything now. I read all of Tony Hillerman's books and his daughters too. I just love a good story I can disappear into. Dad made us read all the classics also.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am reading more since I am in a book club. Different stuff. Right Now I am reading The Lakehouse Cornwall in the 1930's until 2004 it is a bit of a mystery. I really enjoyed North West Angle a MN author about Minnesota... Your sun rising photo is awesome:)