3.15.2022

more than 7

The past few years my focus for photographing waterfowl has been on American Pelicans.

I really wanted to photograph Swans this year. 


They aren't going to find me. I have to find them. I decided to go swan hunting last Friday. With my camera, of course.

I drove past the open water part of the river, and a scenic route along a water way where I have photographed pelicans multiple times. The only open water was in the middle, very far out of camera reach. I could see white bird moving dots of some kind. The only vantage point is along 
a curvy two lane busy Hwy, with narrow shoulders. Very unsafe for parking.

I kept driving and decided to make the drive to Goose Pond. Swans had been sited within the last day. The pond was pretty, but um frozen. Sigh. I decided to try another recently reported hot spot. It would require driving through the big little city. I got skunked. I did not take a single photo all morning. I saw nothing but a few Mallards & Canadian Geese. As well as a couple hawks while driving, and crows. 
At least I got some errands done.

Oh well, I gave finding swans a valiant effort!

On Sunday, we headed out to a pond well known for waterfowl. I've been there once, but would rather not walk the secluded area alone. I think Brad felt bad that I got completely skunked on Friday and agreed to come with me :)) Our efforts were well rewarded!!! We got out of the truck and instantly heard loud honking!! It was easy to decide which direction to walk.

Have I ever told you birders are the nicest people?

We ran into a birding couple and chatted for a long time. Turns out they are neighbors of some friends. Small world. There were a few other human interactions with birders, all looking for the swans.

I could have sat watching all day, the water entertainment was AMAZING!!



we watched a lot of chases


and graceful glides



interactions


the swans were very active



water walking cracks me up


There were more than seven swans-a-swimming. I counted 158 swans with my binoculars. I looked left to right counting sleeping swans first, then down into the water and back up to count sleeping swans etc. It worked well. Most water movement went to the right.

I also noticed Greater Scaup & Hooded Merganser Ducks on my photos. No doubt there was other waterfowl. I was focused on the swans.





wider phone shot


(24 seconds)


those wings!!


sometimes you gotta take the high road


Trumpeter Swan & Hooded Merganser


swans can be so graceful


some swans had darker necks, likely juveniles


We were told this large flock was all Tundra Swans. We were told wrong.

You only know what you know.

After a closer look on the Trumpeter swan website I learned a few differences that help with ID.



Tundra (L) see yellow by eye

Trumpeter (R) some photos show a red band on lower bill


smaller swans, bigger swans, sleeping swans
soooo many swans, I was SO happy!



the chasing Trumpeter swan was so mad he was spewing sparkles

the Tundra was running for his life!



we went for a walk and
a flock of 6-8 swans suddenly appeared overhead.

I managed one clear shot with a full bird/s, and they didn't even poop on us! It was one of those OMG OMG moments when my camera was shut down.

On our way back to the truck we noticed the swans were quieter and much less active.



walk to your own beat


Perhaps my favorite shot.

Just because it made me laugh out loud. This Trumpeter reminds me of me.

I am happiest just doing my own thang.


5 comments:

Shirley said...

Wow!!!!! What a great day that was! You got some awesome shots! Now you got me wondering if the swans I saw were Trumpeter Swans after all. I couldn't tell from where I was by the beak markings, so I was going by their call, which my book described as sounding more like a goose call for the Whistling (Tundra) swan.

aurora said...

Thank you Shirley! It truly was a special day. I also think the swans you saw were Trumpeters. The thin red line on an adults bill is so hard to see, even in photos. With all the variables, I find birds challenging to distinguish within species.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Fun photos! You found them!!

Linda said...

Holy swans! You hit the mother lode! What amazing photos!! Thank you for sharing them! There’s so much beauty, grace, and enjoyment of life in their interactions.

Val Ewing said...

Holy Mooollyyy! I was so excited to see two swans today! But this is so awesome, so many great shots!

I was unlucky last week as the ponds were still frozen.
I do love watching when they all get into a frenzy.

Wow that video showed more swans than I've ever seen in my life.