2.05.2022

a spark

Out of the blue, one of my local-ish Night Sky photography friends contacted me. She had a night photo idea and invited me and a few other area photographers to join her. I haven't seen anyone from this group for over two years. In part for reasons we are all sick of thinking about. 

But wait...I would have to walk on ice. On a lake. Eeeks!! I know at this point in Winter our lakes are well frozen and safe. I do worry about falling on my already injured shoulder. The lake is downtown-ish. In the big little city. I rarely do any frozen lake activities or go to the big little city at night. Especially alone. Cities are not my thing. Fun to visit, but I'm a country girl. 


I didn't want to pass up a rare chance to shoot spinning wool with friends. I said, yes!! 

Brad offered to go with me, but wanted no part of freezing or spinning. Can't blame him, it is not his thing. Once I found out where we were meeting, I knew I would be fine going alone. He thought it was better to go together. He drove me and sat in his toasty truck, while I played with friends on the lake :) I guess if something happened, Brad wouldn't have to go far to find me sprawled out on the ice. Ha haa!

Five of us geared up and walked a good distance on the lake to our destination. Three other photographers bailed last minute. In route, I heard one of the photogs say "I guess we know who the hardy photographers are". I thought to myself, that, or the crazy ones!!

we did mostly spinning


two spinners

We drew an audience that cheered us on at a distance. No doubt we were very visible. A ton of traffic wraps around that lake.



we did a little light painting in between spins

The city lights cast onto the lake and made everything super bright. It was also a clear night. Many of the handheld colored lights washed out. Red worked the best. We did use headlamps to avoid all the random ice holes. 


"Madison"
complete with our State Capitol

Temp was around 22F last Saturday, without the lake wind. I wore my long Alaska coat, but didn't think I would need the coveralls. There was zero wind at home. I should have known...open areas are always colder. After two hours my lower legs & toes were chilled. I had hand warmers in my pockets, and should have dropped some in my boots too. It felt sooo good when I got into our toasty truck! 


a spark landed in front of my tripod

I wore my old Yak Tracks on the ice, and unfortunately lost one on the walk back to the truck. I've never worn them any place but home. Occasionally to/from the barn after ice storms. Now I know first hand why blogger Val wears straps on her Yak's. I ordered a different more robust kind of ice footwear, that will not fall off. My friend wore them in Greenland. If they worked well there, they will work just fine here. 


my fav photo of a memorable night

Guess what? I got out of my comfort zone. Caught up with my Night Sky friends, walked on a frozen lake, went to the big city at night ~ and ~ I am still here to tell about it!! It gave me a much needed spark!



6 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh what fun! Your photos are beautiful! Years ago we did this in the summer but snow works great! I have a pair of boots that I dedicated to yak trax, easy on and off that way:)

Val Ewing said...

This is way beyond cool!
Paint me green with jealousy.
You got out of your comfort zone and did something fun and nutty which turned out beautiful!

Those photos are simply stunning.
I'm thinking of taking one of those glow sticks and putting different colors behind the ice down by the creek !!!

Awesome X10! I love the pics!

Shirley said...

That is sooo cool! (No pun intended)
Thanks for doing that and sharing with us!
And kudos to Brad for being there for you with the toasty warm truck.

Linda said...

That is amazing, and I agree that you are very brave to go out in the cold night on ice! I’m not that brave. The pictures look like a fairy tale life. I had no idea this was even a thing back there. Gorgeous.

aurora said...

Thanks so much!! I thought I had posted my previous spinning wool adventures on my blog, guess not.

Far Side, I learned how in MN at a photography retreat & have done this over water/sand near Two Harbors more than once :))

Val, maybe we can try this together sometime. It takes a minimum of two people. I suppose one could pull it off with a long distance remote trigger. It would take a lot more trial and error than usual.

I have never actually done the spinning myself. After this outing, I am working on putting things together to try. I felt bad that the friend who reached out, had the idea AND was spinning almost the whole time. Not many people are willing to fling fire around their heads. I am willing, with the right gear. It is dangerous and requires safety precautions.

Shirley, glad you enjoyed this! It was very nice to be chauffeured :)

Linda, spinning steel wool on fire is a photographer thing. I am sure they do it out West too, where/when the sparks can't catch fire. It is typically done in in more remote areas.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Beautiful photos, I hear you on not wanting to fall .I have cleats that I strap on to my boots, more aggressive than yak tracks similar to these https://www.amazon.ca/Crampons-Gripper-Traction-Overshoes-Anti-Slip/dp/B08G8CJRMJ/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3IETGQ678VUW5&keywords=traction+aids+for+boots&qid=1644249468&sprefix=traction+%2Caps%2C684&sr=8-7
also for the really icy days I use actual climbing cleats