12.11.2021

porch 'er barn pots

Have you ever noticed how bare entrances look when flowers fade, pots are emptied and stored away? Boring. I have always admired the rustic inspired evergreen winter arrangements that grace the entrances of some dwellings.

I learned they are called Porch Pots. In my case, they are more like Barn Pots. I've never gotten around to making my own.
Until this year. 

I waffled between the idea of trying to decorate our barn pots, or not. I looked 
for natural things among our tree lines that could potentially be added to an arrangement. Red dogwood branch accents look so nice, but all we have are purple prickly branches. Not dealing with those!

We have plenty of pines to choose from and I spotted a few remaining milkweed pods. I knew those would make pretty accents.
I had visions of red or wiggly, or some kind of cool stick natural thingee as an accent. Nothing caught my eye.


After looking at garish floral picks and really expensive natural decor meant for indoors, I found one last package of willow branches on sale. Hmmm? Those might work. While standing in the checkout line, I noticed a second package behind the counter and asked if I could buy it. I have two barn pots. 
I lucked out, someone had returned a package of sticks willow branches. I cannot believe I bought sticks at a store, even if they were cheap!!
 

I made the first pot with Cedar branches that still had blue berries on it, and cut some smaller white pine branches to mix in. I added the brown willows to the pot. Blah! That didn't work for me at all.

So I did this:




red willow branches



Cedar & Pine branches alone are kinda boring



my winter barn pot/s

I dressed both pots up the same with willow branches, milk pods & dried sedum heads from my garden. I also repurposed a couple larger pine cones on a stick. Not bad for a rookie. 

It was 
once again a creative learning process. Next year I plan to start gathering natural accents much earlier and keep my eyes open for any down birch branches. I would much rather use natural red accents, then spray paint them. Note to self: add Dogwood to my planting list!!

6 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Those are amazing!
And the boots are too cool.

Now I know what you are talking about. And I do something like that but indoors with prickly sticks.
I will be heading to the valley to cut some willow sticks too, but they are not neat like those ones. Curly is cool.

This is so perfect!

aurora said...

Thanks! I am happy with my barn pots. They seem to be holding up to the blustery winter wind so far. Would have cost me nothing but time, if it wasn't for the $5 willow branches and spray paint. Nice that you have access to a willow tree!! Love them!

I assembled the boots when we moved here. One pair is Brads and the other pair is mine. I zip tied a pair together for stability, drilled holes in the soles and added rocks for drainage. I grow flowers in them seasonally. Someday I am going to try growing hens & chicks in an old pair of boots. I couldn't make myself cut big holes out of these.

threecollie said...

They are awesome! Well done!

Linda said...

Beautifully done. You’ve inspired me to dress up mine! I need to go scavenge.

Shirley said...

Love it! Scavanging in nature is aleays better than buying. Love the boots too!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You are a designer!! They look great!