11.10.2021

ohhhh, look

Changing weather tends to make horse eating monsters more active. You know, the ones that lurk in the woods and ride a wild cool breeze. Horses catch wind of them, and shenanigans follow.

If I am outside, I hear thundering hooves and often say "well, ya know there is a geomagnetic storm brewing". I promptly either get an eye roll or a "yesss, dear". Or both.

If I am inside, I notice our horses running while walking past our windows. "Ohhhh, look the horses are running". I stop whatever I am doing, and watch them full of curiosity and awe at their powerful beauty. Always followed up by "I wonder why they are running?". More often than not, the action stops as fast as it starts, and I continue whatever I was doing.

Sometimes, I grab my camera. Sigh, and end up putting it away without a single photo taken. Other times, I am really really glad I grabbed my camera!! The best action is always in the beginning, but when antics linger in our pastures they look something like this:


99% of the time the running/play is started by Nemo



he tries to stir everyone up, and usually succeeds



Koda & Cierra frequently hang together on high alert



Koda's long thick locks make every move look dramatic


Nemo keeps Cierra in check, always 

She is after all Brad's other horse.

 If you think horses don't care, you haven't met Nemo.


Cierra tries to stay out of Nemo's radar

She could kick all their butt's if she wanted to, but it isn't in her sweet nature



I've noticed these two are frequently sent out to survey the scene
(Cierra left, Koda right)

I thought all the fun was over. Nope.


tail raising begins again



Harmony gets in on the action



Harmony & Cierra



Harmony heading back up to the shed area by Nemo

(she is very attached to him)




Cierra & Koda making a move



no clue what herd messages are being given behind the shed

I just watch for the horses to reappear into my field of vision.




Nemo running his herd



Nemo & Harmony making the rounds



Harmony on alert




these two, are sooo sweet together

I missed a shot of Cierra resting her head on Koda's back


The silly play ended and the herd settled back into grazing. Guess the wild breeze died down and the lurking monsters moved on.















 

5 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I was out with my herd last night feeding them when the invisible mule eaters came along. My Siera ignored the monsters while the others snorted and spun around.
Herd dynamics are always so interesting.

And yes, horses do make attachments. Love these action shots, so wonderful to see these critters in action.

Linda said...

What a beautiful herd. I love to see them feeling good and playing. The joy is contagious!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Looks like they’re having fun and getting plenty of exercise too!

Shirley said...

Some fancy tail flagging going on! You got some great shots! I think my fave is the one of Harmony and Cierra

Far Side of Fifty said...

What fun to watch! They are all so beautiful! :)