5.14.2021

let's face it

I recently met a new Blogger friend in person for the first time at Kickapoo Valley Reserve (KVR). My favorite local-ish place to trail ride. I had never explored it on foot, until I met Val. She has been trail riding her mules and hiking that magical area for over 30 years. 

This was my first time meeting an online friend in person. Those of us still on Blogger after more than a decade, have stuck around because we know this platform is different than other social media. Much more real, with deeper connection. You really get to know those that interact with you, and become friends. Val and I have been at the same past events, without knowing each other. Our paths had not crossed yet. I remember our saddle maker asking me if I knew her. You can't make that stuff up. I had zero concerns. I am happy to report that Val not only turned out to be a good egg, she has an amazing wealth of nature knowledge - especially at KVR.

We both love nature, photography and animals.

Our remote hike took us through 
a super secret hidden area. I can't tell you about it, because - well, it's a secret. We meandered on a long lost horse trail, with a winding creek beside us and a ridge above us. We saw super cool rock formations that KVR is known for, as we followed Charlie on deer trails, climbed under and over and walked through everything in between. All the while, surrounded by magical woods.

Our trail boss was this little guy, with a big personality:


Charlie

He took his job seriously and was very patient while he waited for not one, but two wondering minds.

There were 
so many different varieties of wildflowers growing in different stages, in every single direction. As far as the eye can see. They changed as we walked through different areas. I have never seen or been surrounded by SO many different wildflowers!! We saw dozens of different varieties of wild growing things. I couldn't begin to name or list what we saw. I was so busy being in awe, that I didn't take many photos. My senses were soaking it all in real time. After I got home, I discovered a check off list of the 283 official wildflowers that grow at KVR. 283!! Wow!





One of my favorite finds had nothing to do with wildflowers. It was a bird, just a'singing away to us. My first photo had a branch across the face, and I had to move to get a clear shot. I am including it because it shows some key ID characteristics. 
I was so surprised it didn't fly off. After doing some research, I am confident we saw a Towhee. Most likely an Eastern Towhee, because it has a reddish eye. Please correct me if I am wrong.





We scaled mountain sides 'er hill sides and discovered many things along the way that stopped us in our tracks. Hiking at it's finest.

Another highlight was discovering faces in the old rock formations. Let's face it, I knew we were kindred souls when Val found a face of her own (pictured here). We looked intently at the rock formations, while wondering about both of them. This was the face I saw: 

Do you see it??

So interesting!! It even has hair.
Looks kinda like a Groot, or someone from an ancient tribe.


If you couldn't see the face, how about now?

Val was tasked
 with finding "the hole in the rock" by her hubby. A feature that no doubt brings back memories to those who discover it.



hole in the rocks 

We shared stories of our past KVR trail rides and other experiences along the way.



so cute how Charlie checks on his mom (and then poses)
while she works her toy photography magic


there are many old unique formations



Weister Creek


this view was simply magical

something out of a mythical woodland storybook
when the sun came out, it lit up pockets of glowing green

I could have stayed right here, all day
photos just can't capture the beauty, you'll have to imagine it

Eventually we reached the established horse trails. As we got near, Val mentioned we were headed to the less exciting (or something similar) part of the hike. They were clearly more traveled, but I thought they were amazing!!

We joked about being surrounded by trillions of Trilliums.
They were on both sides of the horse trail for a long section, allll the way up both steep hillsides. Absolutely stunning!

All this and SO much more to this memorable hike!! My mind wanders back often. Thank you Val for sharing the wonder of the KVR with me! 


6 comments:

Linda said...

Wow! The photos capture some of the magic of that area. How wonderful to connect with a fellow blogger. I had the same experience connecting with Shirley, and of course, I have Tumbleweed because of her. Bloggers are the best!

Grey Horse Matters said...

What an amazing hike! Love the face and Charlie is precious. What a sweet boy. It’s wonderful that you connected with Val and had such a great time. Wish I could meet you too someday and some of my other friend bloggers.

Val Ewing said...

Ohhhh! I do love your views of the hike. That one place is very magical indeed when the light shine through the pines.

I think that particular spot is pretty unique as it is obviously not very well known.

I agree that photos can only capture what is seen and not the whole 'feel' of being there.

I hope we can do this again.
Charlie says HI!

Shirley said...

It's great meeting other bloggers! I met a few of them when Crystal and I went to the Buck Brannaman clinic.
That really does look like a magical place, thanks for sharing! I love the rock faces and the photo of Charlie in the hole.

aurora said...

I wish I could meet each of you! One never knows, it could happen!!

Val, I am sure we will get out and about again. It would be fun to find a yellow lady slipper, haven't seen those for years.

Far Side of Fifty said...

So happy that you and Val got together ...as I read both your blogs:) Charlie is just the cutest! :)