2.24.2023

more floaty less whippy

Yesterday evening I had the opportunity to try shooting snowflakes again.

We had just gotten back inside our warm house, from tucking horses in their stalls. They sure were eager to get out of the blizzard-y elements!! I noticed the snowflakes were floaty. A change from recent icy precipitation.
 

The last thing I wanted to do was put all my winter gear back on and stand outside in the cold.

After hemming-n-hawing (a phrase I learned first appeared around the 1630's) I felt the need to redeem myself from my last failed attempt. For me.

I switched all things camera around and headed out to the deck. The snowflakes were blowing sideways at a rapid pace. Not only were they smacking me in the face, they were blowing away as fast as I caught a photo worthy flake. That became frustrating in a hurry.

Yes, snowflakes have to be caught. Brad said it is really entertaining watching me try.

I almost gave up, but instead went to the front of the house where the flakes were more floaty and less whippy.

After eleven minutes and about a dozen shots, I was done. I gave it my best handheld effort.







2/23/23


There is a lot of room left for improvement, but hey at least you can tell they are snowflakes!





6 comments:

Linda said...

Beautiful capture!! They're quite magical, aren't they? I was playing piano this morning and the windows in front of it were plastered with frozen snowflakes. It was a pretty sight. I went to take a photo just a few minutes later, but the sun had come out and they had quickly melted. Ah well, capture that winter beauty while you can, because spring is around the corner!

Val Ewing said...

OHHHH! That is so cool and beautiful. I can just see you catching snowflakes and your hubby shaking his head.

I like your description. More floaty and less whippy !I've seen them twice this winter in our woods and was able to watch them land on moss!

Beautiful work.

I know it isn't easy to do that handheld especially if you did it with your long lens and an extension tube? Nice!

aurora said...

Linda, A frosty window is such a beautiful complimenting scenario!

Val, yes I shoot flakes with 3 extension tubes & my medium long lens (70-200). A heavy set-up to handhold still, while attempting a sliver of focus. No doubt a tripod would give better results, but tri adjustments are awkward for me. Lack of practice! The only time I use one is shooting a night sky.

threecollie said...

Look like you nailed it to me. Very pretty!

Shirley said...

Love the combination of texture and spikeyness in the first photo.
The second one looks like they are tumbling across a landscape.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What pretty snowflakes, I am like you I need to use my extensions tubes! I also have a macro lens that I hardly ever use. My daughter has a great snowflake photo that she took on the hood of her dark blue car...the light was great:)