1.08.2019

nothing much

Not sure where my blogging inspiration went, but I find myself with nothing horse related to post about. With the holiday hoopla, barn projects came to a screeching halt and haven't picked back up again. Yet. 

I am (still) not riding, so nothing there to share. With our warmer winter weather, I have really gotten the itch to ride! I even tried to convince Brad to saddle up the boys with me for a short field ride. He didn't think it was a good idea, so I didn't push it. Last time I did, I ended up with a torn rotator cuff and an injured horse. If Brad thinks it's a bad idea to ride on any given day, then it probably is. I chose not to ride alone.

The day I almost hopped on was warm & sunny. I honestly think the horses would have been fine. They watch me walk the field almost daily. But, it's better safe then sorry. Sigh. I just worry that the bed-n-breakfast life is going to my young-minded horses head! Koda does sooo much better with consistent handling & riding. Me too. I sure hope I don't have to take him back to the trainers for a refresher in order for riding to ever happen. Hopefully I can restart him myself. I've done it before, but I wasn't injured then. Time will tell. Until then, my mantra continues to hold true "I used to ride". Boo hoo.

Would you care for some cheese with my whine? Ha ha! Seriously, it's not that bad. I am living & loving our life on the ranch!! I even have my very own models to love and photograph outside my door:


koda

nemo

harmony

together forever

This my friends, is way more then I ever dreamed possible. The rest, is just icing on the cake.


3 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Now that the holidays are over and things get back to normal I think we will have more time to do what we want to with the horses. Just took down the tree today so I'm done. Over the weekend I did get to drag the arena and lunge Rosie twice. Haven't ridden either but I really want to start again so I know how you feel. We'll get there eventually. In the meantime you're living your dream and I love your photography so if you don't feel like writing just post pictures of everything!

Shirley said...

Even if you don't ride, you can still do things with your horses. Bring them in the barn, brush them, clean their feet, turn them out again. Take them for walks and make sure they remember their halter manners. Set up an obstacle course that you can do in hand, or take them for a stroll through the trees. This will help tremendously when it's time for them to go back to work and it will help build your confidence that your horse is tuned in to you.

aurora said...

Agreed on all of the above. The thought of restarting a habit or practice is the hardest part. It gets easier once you actually (re) start.