Showing posts with label GBED. Show all posts
Showing posts with label GBED. Show all posts

1.07.2021

sale pending

Today is the day. Padame gets hauled to the vet for a head to toe pre-sale vet check. Soon we will know (and so will you!) if she will be Brad's new upcoming show horse, or if we are back to searching the corners of the earth for a healthier young horse that fits his criteria. 

This is what we requested:

1) Vaccines: Rhino/Influenza vaccine, Lyme vaccine and Rabie vaccine
2) X-Rays: Feet, Hocks, Pasterns & Stifles. 
3) Full Body Assessment
4) Coggins
5) Teeth Exam
6) Health Papers, required by Wisconsin for animals crossing State lines

It will likely take a few days for both vets (hers and ours) to evaluate all of the results, and then Brad to make his final decision. 

We also wanted to make sure Padame had the AQHA 5-panel genetic test done. If not, we would request one of those before purchasing. We found out the test was done, actually one of the five. Her sire is a GBED carrier, negative to the other four diseases. Her dam is negative for all 5. Therefore the filly was only tested for GBED, and unfortunately tested positive. She is also a carrier.

Not gonna lie, I didn't think we should buy her unless she had 100% clean bill of health. However, since learning about GBED (thank you Shirley for sharing your valued knowledge!!) and that it only becomes a concern if bred to another carrier, I guess I am okay with it. I still support the purchase thus far. We aren't buying Padame for breeding, but in reality who knows what the future holds. Brad also contacted our vet, and his response was the same.

My hubby made a good point the other day, this whole long distance purchasing experience has been very educational for both of us. We didn't do any vet check with our four horses. Age appropriate things like vaccines were taken care of, and Cierra was panel tested as a baby before we bought her. We used our own judgement with what we saw in person. Regardless, even if Padame lived close to us she would have gotten a pre-sale check because of her cost and intended use.

I can't wait to see how the vet check turns out, hoping for good news!! Until then, she is officially sale pending...



screen shot from breeders website