2.01.2024

just ducky ~ 2 of 2

If you haven't already, you may want to read the post that leads up to the main reason we took a weekend trip to Memphis.

To experience Jesse Cook's musical energy live.

Let's start with the small brand new intimate venue The Halloran Centre. We knew we had pretty good seats (5 rows from stage) but didn't realize just how close they were. Perfect proximity. I don't enjoy front row seats and prefer to take in the whole stage. You can see the back row behind our silly smiling faces.


I resisted the temptation to watch the concert through my phone. A couple quick shots were inevitable. Also, a couple short videos of key moments to remind myself of the awe we were experiencing.

I knew Jesse would be good in concert. What I didn't know was how funny and humble the guy is. What a natural class act! His concert was entertaining on all levels. He prefaced each song in a relatable way. Often comical.



Jesse Cook

I also knew I would get emotional. His music gives me all the feels. When he first started to play, my eyes instantly filled with water. Not because his music is sad, because it is music you feel. With the tiny crevices of your soul. Or at least my soul.

I often get asked what type of music Jesse plays. I think Classical Rhumba-Flamenco Guitarist best describes him. At one point towards the end of the concert, he had everyone on their feet clapping and swaying along for a "rhumba party".

There was one other time during the concert when my eyes almost overflowed. His song Azul. From one of his earlier albums. One of my favorite. I soaked it in realtime. Here it is on YouTube:

Azul (English translation "blue")


He brought amazing complimentary talent with him on the road! All musicians are based out of Canada. Each equally as talented in their own right.

Hearing them together was nothing short of magical!! 

One of the biggest surprises for me was the Algerian violinist. Everyone was buzzing about him! He played several instruments, but the way he played violin ~ wow ~ was either on his knee or upside down!! Hardly even looking at it. Jaw drop.

His brief intro had to do with the history of the Moors invading the south of Spain. My mom used to tell me about the influence of the "gypsy's".


Fethi Nadjem


dueling with Jesse



a song they wrote & played together
(from YouTube)


He also brought along the talented bass player Dan Minchom. Jesse introduced him as "the funkiest ginger on the planet" out of Toronto.

The other jaw dropper was the percussionist. One word: incredible!! Short clip of one of his solo's, a song he wrote for his daughter:


Marito Marques (20 sec)


I would be remiss if I left out a brief recap of an endearing story Jesse shared about the 4th musician he shared the stage with, Matt Sellick (from Thunder Bay). 

His mother was a fan and had just bought Jesse's 3rd album. While playing music in the car, a then 7 year old Matt pointed at the music player and said "I want to do THAT!". He was signed up for lessons etc...story continued, and he learned to play all of Jesse's songs. 

The first time Jesse heard Matt play one of his songs, he said "...and he plays them better than I do!! Thinking to himself: I must go to Thunder Bay, find Matt Sellick and kill him!" LOL!! It was too funny. Joking of course. Guess you had to be there. 

Anywho, Matt plays the rhythm role in the group. Jesse introduced him as the best Flamenco Guitarist in Canada. Being the guy that he is, Jesse flipped roles with Matt letting him take lead at times. There is an obvious bond.

After already playing a group encore, just the two of them closed the concert together. On the last date of their Libre tour. The only song shared with vocals. It was very meaningful and sweet.



Matt & Jesse (1.05 min)


A perfect way to end the concert of a life time.

This whole trip is still sinking in. As we left the airport back home, I noticed a familiar parting message. It was on the parking lot gate arm, that lifts upon exiting: "It is about the Journey". What a nice reminder. It made me smile inside. 


Our unforgettable trip was everything I hoped for, and much more. 


6 comments:

Shirley said...

Thank you for sharing their music! Good musicians always surround themselves with other good musicians.
I'm sure this will be one of your most treasured memories.

Val Ewing said...

I'm just going to jump in and say that I said Azul was my fav before I read this post...now to go back and check the rest out....

aurora said...

It certainly is Shirley!

Val, I have no doubt about Azul. The intro Jesse gave about Azul was that on a whim he decided to share a video of it, years after it's release. It went viral. Cue for a funny Taylor Swift comment. Jesse said he had no idea how much the song resonated with people. Had he known, he would have played Azul a lot more.

Linda said...

I LOVE that style of music. You shared him with me before, and I added his songs to my playlist. Thank you for bringing this all back for us to enjoy vicariously! I so understand being brought to tears through music. It has happened to me many times. Unforgettable moments when your soul is lifted up to a freer place. That's the heaven I want to go to. Oh, and it has to have all my animal family members, lost to me here. Happy birthday to you!

Marie Smith said...

I really enjoyed this music. Thank you for sharing!

Val Ewing said...

What a magical time!

Count me as a bit jealous though! I'd have never dreamt of a trip like that. Very adventurous and wonderful.
All of it!

I like the ducks and the music.

Thank you for this!