12.17.2022

the wonder of winter ~ 2 of 2

If you missed it, my first post "wonder of winter ~ 1 of 2" can be found hereI left off with mention of noticing an unusual thing.

That thing I saw was a caterpillar on top of the snow, just outside the pines. Weird. I figured a bird must have dropped it, or it fell out of a tree. 


After finding several more spread out in the field behind the arena, my curiosity was heightened. I consulted with my sometimes correct friend Google. Apparently winter caterpillars are not unusual. Amazing that they get to/from the top of the snow without freezing.

Being a caretaker of this land has taught me many things.



winter cutworm (yellow underwing moth larva)


I found this right before the second set of snow wigglers: 

 

top corner of the pasture


After turning off the hot fence, Tank and I removed branches with a little help.



Koda and Harmony were the brave ones



Nemo got done snorting, then came over to help



Harmony, Cierra and Koda

(sorry for the dark crappy phone pics)

I would grab a branch and toss it aside. Tank would drag it back. Sigh. After being told "OFF" he left the big branches alone. I gave up and let the four year old puppy play with the little branches. 

There are no branches too large for our dog! He will drag (or try) entire trees, it you let him. I have to leave Tank home in order to actually clear branches off the trails.



branch-free trail



snow play*
(18 seconds)



Jameson is a big attraction

He is wearing our old dog Sam's coat, to cover his shaved area's



my first snowshoe outing* of the season
12.16.22

Winter is just coming into its own.
Looking forward to experiencing more winter wonder! 

 
 

5 comments:

Shirley said...

Winter caterpillars! Whoda thunk.
Loved that Tank video, what a fun light hearted dog he is. It's great that he sticks by you and doesn't just go do his own thing.
Do you find your electric fence works just as well in the winter? I know mine did back in Creston. With the sandy soil here I wonder if it has enough moisture retained to provide a ground; but I imagine the snow will do that job.

Val Ewing said...

Awww Tank! Always there to brighten your day and make a person smile with his antics.

I've never seen a winter caterpillar! Odd!
I had to walk around and knock the wet heavy snow off our fence last week!

What a beautiful place you live in!

aurora said...

Shirley, We have had zero problems with having an electric fence in sandy soil. As you know we went from hard clay, to sandy loam where our horses and fields are. In some area's (ex. where the wild things grow) the soil is more like pure sand. Our WI Cacti thrive in it.

Sounds like your soil change is similar. I will look forward to reading about your future sandy soil gardening!

Linda said...

I have never seen winter caterpillars!! I’ll have to keep a better eye out for them. Great helpers you have there. They look fat and happy in the snow. Welcome to winter! We’ve had since early November. I’m hoping that means it will end early, too.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Tank is one happy dog. Love his video. I’ve never seen a winter caterpillar. What fun would clearing up branches be without professional help! They did a good job.