11.14.2020

our red heads day in the sun

Friday the 13th was our red heads day in the sun. Nothing unlucky about it. As expected, Harmony was on high alert for her outdoor arena debut. However, she did okay for her first time. At least the part I saw. When I asked how Harmony started out, Brad replied "ohhh, she got big - and I mean BIG". She must have been a horse kite in the beginning, for him to say that. By the time I got out to the arena, she was still full of excess energy but doing pretty good. I took a quick video, then switched to taking photos with my camera. Nemo did not like having Harmony out of his sight, and called out the entire time she was gone from the pasture. Consequently she was preoccupied communicating with her pasture buddy. You will hear them, and notice she is rusty at listening to gait and directional changes. 

 


She has been primarily free lunged and hasn't done much twirling at the end of a rope. At least not the way we do it. Free lunging has its place when done correctly, but neither of us are fans. Brad was forgiving and reassuring while working with Harmony, exactly what she needs.




on fast forward




resting bitch face




calling out and needing a nudge
to unglue her feet and switch directions


I was so happy Harmony got to expand her world, and get one-on-one time!! I wonder if she will continue waiting at the gate while we ride the others? Probably. It was interesting, there was zero calling when Brad took Nemo out to the arena right after Harmony got her turn. 



good job Harmony



she has always had a naturally shiny coat

On a semi-unrelated note, I was pleasantly surprised how our outdoor arena is handling moisture. It rained the night before, and turned into flakey snow. Some of it stuck around. It definitely got cold, but warmed up and the footing was great by afternoon.

We have continued riding Koda and Cierra, and hope weather allows us to keep up some consistency until the end of the year. We hope to get more rides on Nemo too. It will be a looong time before anyone get's on Harmony's back. She may be 20 but there is no reason Harmony can't be ridden lightly,  if  when she calms downs. Will see what kind of mood Mother Nature is in this Winter. If we can't ride, then we will do some walk-a-bouts as weather allows.



Harmony and Brad
walking the new tree line path back to the barn




Harmony and Brad (deep in thought)


 

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your horses are beautiful! What a nice area you have to ride! Thanks for the comment on my blog. Stay safe out there, I hear about your State everyday:(

Shirley said...

Such a lovely mare! Red heads are kinda special, aren't they!
Hope you get lots more good riding weather- you're on a roll!

aurora said...

Hi Far Side, nice to hear from you! I used to follow your blog regularly (I think via Sunday Stills?) and somehow lost track. I remember Chance, so sorry to hear of your loss.

Yes, redheads are special lol. I have continued ridding, and it just gets better. Thanks for sharing in my rekindled joy Shirley!