7.23.2018

bed-n-breakfast staff

To post, or not to post? That is the question. I have been humming-n-hawing. Nothing major to share or horsie happenings to blog about. I still haven't ridden, or done anything more then be bed-n-breakfast staff for our horses *sniff* I think the next time someone asks me if I ride, I'll reply "I used to"...it's been that long.

We've been doing other horse related things, here are a few updates from our bed-n-breakfast staff:


front barn truss is looking nice,
it is getting trimmed with Douglas Fir

we hung a dry erase/bulletin board in the barn

wish I could find where I packed my push-pins,
to hang Nemo's allergy shot calendar!

Our builder moved our little table set off the porch, so he could work on the overhang truss. We like where he placed it! Unfortunately it's our planned turn-out path during the winter, so it will be in the way. However once we find more suitable seating for the barn porch, the set might stay there seasonally. I'm thinking the porch needs some type of outdoor bench? For now, we are using a lot of what we had from our old place. Everywhere.

reclaimed wood mirror for the barn bathroom arrived
The craftsmanship on this mirror is amazing! Just like the vanity. I should have also snapped a pic of the back, it's finished off solid & studded. Perspective of my phone photos are way off, mirror is larger then below. I received a certificate of authenticity with the mirror and mentioned my plans to hang the certificate in our bathroom. Do you know what the guy that built these did? He offered to make a frame for me at no cost, if I would pay shipping. Yes, please!!! Who does this?! The frame arrived all finished, complete with another certificate. Nothing short of amazing. I truly appreciate people who take pride in their work.



welcome sign from our old house
hangs on the saloon entrance for now
I think I'll eventually move it, it's not very saloony.

Watch out for our guard grand dog, she might lick you to death.


Our horses seemed unfazed
when Bobcat Brad mowed the upper pasture near them..

until it turned into a game of "race the bobcat" lol
(koda in the lead, nemo, harmony)

Video goes something like this:

Harmony: why are you boys running, it's just a bobcat

Koda: first dibs on the hay! Last one is um, last

Harmony: dumb boys, I could out run either of you any day of the week

Nemo: my pile

Koda: fine, I'm going by Harmony, move over


Brad set a few more poles yesterday,
replaced the turnout gate 
with a wider one and also added a new latch.
(the old gate is off to the left)

This pretty much sums up our past two horse related weeks. Brad was so busy last week with work stuff, he cancelled his lessons and didn't go ride Cierra. He is back at it this week.

I miss her, Cierra is so sweet and Harmony could sure use a buddy. Koda & Nemo have been together since birth, born one day apart. Our trio mixes it up, and they hang out together - but Harmony does appear to be the third wheel.

Soon it will be time to change my clothes, bring the horses in with the other staff, feed the horses supper and make sure they find their accommodations acceptable.

Signed, bed-n-breakfast staff



8 comments:

Linda said...

😂 You’re funny! Welcome to reality!

I can’t believe Koda and Nemo grew up with each other since birth! Do you have problems riding them away from each other? They’re very lucky to have had one another!

What beautiful trusses. Did you guys spend years planning all this in your head? Every detail is so beautiful. The mirror is spectacular. The man who made them should be proud. I hope you invite lots of people over to show it all off. Most horse people appreciate beautiful barns and want to tour them. Forget the house tours!

Someday, you’ll be settled and out there forging new bridle paths around your place, early morning and evening rides with your man and your herd. ❤️



aurora said...

Koda & Nemo are fine riding away from each other. I think because they've had a lot of practice, from us riding them separately at times while living at our trainers for years. Our Appy's are actually related. I went back to find their story, but doesn't look like I've blogged about it? Weird!! I swear I did, must have not tagged it. Anywho, Koda's dam is Nemo's grand dam. We promised to do our best to keep them together forever. It's a bittersweet story, will look deeper & if not found, post about it.

Ya know, some things we did plan & others just simply evolve. We bought the land a year before we started the barn shell, so we had time to think things through. It really helps to not be on a deadline.

Shirley said...

Cute video.. Harmony: Oh! Hay! That's worth running for!

When you get it mostly done please do a video tour of your barn! I say mostly done because you will probably be tweaking it for a couple of years.

aurora said...

Good idea Shirley! I will do a video walk through of the barn when it's further along. I think we will be tweaking this land & everything that sits on it, for the rest of our lives. All part of living the dream.

Harmony frequently hangs back, if not always. Not sure if it's personality or maturity, or both. Might even be a herd thing. I found it really interesting when our daughter hauled her to the vets for some dental work, Nemo had a total fit. Besides the calling and looking for her in all directions, that went on for hours, he began pacing the perimeter of the pastures - just like she normally does (altho much less, if at all, now that they are in the larger pastures). Nemo has never paced the perimeter in any of our pastures before. Koda on the other hand didn't care that Harmony left. Herd dynamics fascinate me.

Mrs Shoes said...

Everything looks so beautiful.
Do you think it will stay in the family after you & Brad are gone?
The 4Shoes will not, I am very saddened to say that neither of our kids wants this life for themselves.
Sometimes I wonder if all the work we (still) put into the 4Shoes will even be appreciated by the next owners when we die. In the meantime, we keep doing the work because it brings us joy, even if we are the last owners to love it this way.

aurora said...

I have no idea if our land will stay in the family. It's possible? My oldest will likely always live near a larger city, because of her occupation. Our middle daughter would never be able to afford it, unless things change for her. Our son might, down the road. One can only hope.

You never know, your kids may change their mind when the time comes. Or maybe someone else close to you will show interest in 4Shoes? We are only caretakers of our land, while here on earth. Know that everything you do, will be appreciated & loved and makes your land a better place. I get it tho...

Grey Horse Matters said...

Love the barn and pastures! That mirror is beautiful too so I'm glad you have the "guard" dog to lick someone to death if they try to take it!

It's all so much work to keep up with everything but its worth it to be able to manage everything yourselves and see your herd everyday. I hear ya about not getting time to ride. It seems I rode a lot more when I boarded because everyone else did the chores. What I find works best for me when I want to ride and the planets all align I do it first thing in the morning. Once I feed the gang I go to the feed shed and make up dinners while they're chowing down. Then I throw them all a flake of hay and tack up. Nobody goes out until I'm done this way the horse I'm riding isn't distracted by the herd taking off for greener pastures. If I don't ride in the morning I never do it later on. Hope you get a ride in soon.

aurora said...

I agree, it's all worth it. I wouldn't go back to boarding, just to ride. We had long drives, and all the other less desirable factors that go into it. Of course there are things I miss about it. It's a trade-off. I know riding will eventually happen here at home in some way, shape or form. Someday. I just miss it & Koda and I do so much better together with regular rides. It's going to be a challenge to restart. I like your morning approach to riding :)