12.11.2013

the next best thing

They replaced the indoor arena flooring at our barn last summer, and put new sand in. Unfortunately the service door recently broke, and dragging the arena has been problematic. With all the traffic it gets, it doesn't take long for holes and sand dunes to appear in the deep arena sand. 

Before we rode my hubby rigged a ratchet type pulley on the door, so he could test out a new arena drag they are considering buying. It happens to be the exact same one we look at every year at Horse Fair. We dream of the day we have a reason to buy one of our own! 





I helped briefly hold the chain, and then went to check out Koda & Nemo's new (to them) turnout pasture. It is further away from the barn, but has access to automatic water. I think they'll like spending their days out there?



Why is she not bringing us in?

Between the work, play happens with this little guy running around...



5 months of happiness

I helped our trainer shovel the sand away that builds up on the corner walls. It's much harder then it sounds. Brad got things adjusted on the drag, so it could go round and round with ease. We had to stay on our toes to get out of his way!  She mentioned it looked like he was having fun running the drag, trust me - he was. My hubby was so happy, it's the next best thing to owning your own...






What a huge difference! Nemo & Koda noticed it right away. I set up some poles & cones, and we ended the afternoon with a nice ride on freshly raked sand!!

6 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I love dragging our arenas too. I can get carried away making patterns. Guess it doesn't take much to make me happy. What a boring person I am ;)

C-ingspots said...

Wow, that's a nice, huge arena!! I'd love having somewhere like that to ride when it's cold or wet outside. My hubby is the same way with a tractor...it's a man thing. Arr arr!!

aurora said...

I would be the same way Grey Horse, IF I ever got to drag an arena....pretty sure my hubby would rather not share dragging!

As much as I wish we had our horses at home (with different circumstances) it is really nice to have access to the arenas at Iron Horse. As far as arenas go the indoor isn't really that big, it's 60' x 140', but it's a whole lot bigger then the one we have - oh yea - we don't have one!!

Shirley said...

I live a couple of miles from a really nice indoor arena, I need to get hauling Rio down there.

4RRanch said...

Riding in a newly dragged arena is like skating on a freshly Zamboni-ed ice rink.

aurora said...

Shirley, what helped us is choosing a day (s) and sticking to it. We are officially busy that day/night. Sometimes we have to head out a little later then others due to work, but we ride on those days regardless. So far weather hasn't prevented us from riding, altho I am sure that day will come. It also works well because the owner knows to expect us.

Agreed, there is nothing like either 4R!! I swear I heard Koda sigh!