I figured I best get this July post done, before August floats past. I started over a week ago, then poof! life got busier. Mostly with grand kids, grand dogs and grand gardening.
July seems like such a long time ago. Part of the reason I am committing to loosely documenting a wee bit of in-between life. Starting off with my favorite Trumpet Lily!! I am super happy it finally settled in, after transplanting from our old home.

smells heavenly
I continue discovering new (to me) wild plants and critters on our property. I've seen the wildflower below before, but never really stopped to look at it. There is so much nature to discover, if one takes the time.

American Germander (aka Wood Sage/Wild Basil)
July 7
Garden harvesting season has ramped up. I filled all my dehydrator trays up with Basil. So much better than store bought! Most of my Basil gets frozen into cubes, and of course enjoyed fresh.
I like trying new things to harvest each year. This year I went with the herbs Thyme and Sage. My roasted root veggies have officially been elevated! This brings me up to four herbs to harvest. Including one of my longtime fav's, Rosemary. I tried Oregano years ago, twice. Meh.
A few weeks ago, my neighbor gave me some of her Tarragon to try. It wasn't for me. Not a licorice/anise fan. I will also be trying Mint (for tea) from my daughters garden. I am afraid to plant invasive herbs. Even in pots.
My mom always grew Parsley. In her later years, I would bring her a plant annually to enjoy indoors. Some folks like growing Cilantro, but I rarely use it. What herbs do you love growing & using?

drying Basil
Back to our land, or in this case sky. The views from our land were spectacular in July! The light is ever changing. Some evenings, color surrounds us in all directions.
taken from our deck
July 10 (21 secs)

colorful hues
When we moved here, I cut back on gardening. Especially tender plants/tubers that need over-wintering indoors. Really, I did. A lot. However, there are a couple I won't give up. If I had to pick only one bulb/tuber to over winter, it would be the one below. It has a spectacular delicate fragrance! So easy to grow and bulbs overwinter well. Very reliable.

Hymenocallis 'Sulphur Queen'

Crescent Moon & Venus
same evening, right of above frame

this is how we celebrate Christmas in July
July 19 (my confused Amaryllis)

July 24
I use tomato cages and repurposed orange bale twine in-between. Not pretty, but functional. No one see's it anyways. Well, until now :)

a present from Ms. Hope
July 27
Below is a special-to-me pot. I have been re-planting it the past five years. It has an overwintered Geranium and two Coleus. Each Fall, I save cuttings from the two different Coleus. I used to buy a Mother's Day pot for my mom and a similar one for me. Now I replant with memory plants from the last one/s. Both my daughters are also re-growing the Coleus :)

July 31
Closing this post with silliness. There were a lot more Nemo antics. Sorry in advance for my loud cackling. I blame it on the phone speaker.
Yes, I was walking in the rain. I love walking in light rain!
checking out the aliens (17 secs)
July 31 (22 secs)












No comments:
Post a Comment