9.11.2021

a shimmering performance

I looked across our valley and tried to figure out what I was seeing. I was stunned! There were hundreds and hundreds of fast flying creatures zooming around the fields and pastures, shimmering in the early evening sunlight. The flying phenomenon stopped me in my tracks. Were they lightening bugs? I took a short video, and then walked down to the field for a closer look. 



best viewed while looking over by the fence
lower part of the dark pines
(13 sec)

After I figured out what was dancing before my eyes, I hustled back to the house to grab my camera. That caught Brad's attention. He came outside to see what was going on "are those all Hummers?" 

I was like a kid in a candy store! Natures show lasted around 10-15 minutes, then poof!! They were gone. Capturing the ever changing super fast magical shimmer performance of the Green Darner Dragonfly, was one of the hardest things I've attempted to photograph. What an incredible experience!! 



mystical shimmering
(enlarge to see one dragonfly, middle far right)

"The common, huge green or blue dragonfly most often seen in heavy numbers during late summer and fall, the green darner is known as one of our few migrating insects. Large hatches may occur simultaneously during August, with tens of thousands of insects moving south along with monarchs into fall."





9/3/21


Sometimes you get an unexpected uplifting surprise, when you need it the most.  


11 comments:

Shirley said...

Wow! what a sight that must have been!
I have been seeing a lot of dragonflies lately too, didn't know they hatch in August.

aurora said...

Yes, it was surreal and on a noteworthy day.

Grey Horse Matters said...

An amazing sight. So cool you got to see it and photograph it!

aurora said...

It was really something. Doubt I will ever be lucky enough to see (and hear) this again. It was so hard to catch the dragonflies transparent wings at just the right time, when the sunlight reflected off them.

Val Ewing said...

I had to just sit and watch them yesterday after I got out of the woods. I sat in the summer pasture and enjoyed the show. They zoomed this way and that. Shimmering indeed.

I'm sure you will be able to see them again as we've watched them a few times over the years. Once you've seen this, your eye will catch it the next time.

I've never been able to photograph it at all though! Wonderful and amazing job!

aurora said...

You saw them in mass quantity yesterday? Cool!! Gives me hope that I will see their playful stunning flight again. There were SO so many of them! Thank you for the kind words. My shots aren’t tack sharp, but I don’t care. Just glad for visuals to remind me of this particular day. Pretty sure the buggers were messing with me every time I tried to get a shot, ha ha!

Val Ewing said...

Yes I did Aurora. They have mass swarms while migrating and mass swarms while feeding during the summer too. I'm not sure they are all the same kind of dragonfly of course, but I've seen them in the middle of summer twice last year too. Two years ago, I ran around with kids and tried catching some in a butterfly net. We were very unsuccessful and ended up falling down a lot.

I think it is the most amazing thing to watch.

aurora said...

Love it!! I had no idea. I think what I saw were all Green Darners.

Val Ewing said...

I have no clue what we saw since we never caught one! :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Amazing sight!! Wow!

threecollie said...

Incredible! I have spent a lot of time in the fields making hay etc. and I have never seen...or even imagined...anything like that.