1.17.2020

watchful eye

It doesn't matter what I am doing outside, Nemo keeps track of me. I have no doubt he does even more so with Brad, as he loves him more then any other human. When I am outside hiking or doing whatever, Nemo stops his world to keep a watchful eye on my whereabouts. Even at a distance. He likely considers me part of his herd. 


Nemo on guard (Jan 2020)
the other two are chomping away at the feeder 
Harmony and Koda seem to care less. Maybe it isn't their job, and they know Nemo has surveillance covered.


Nemo (Dec 2019)
I have been trying to keep a closer eye on our small herd dynamics, and think about why they do what they do. Although our herd is rather subdued, it is still fascinating!! I don't know a horse person that doesn't love herd dynamics. There is SO much to be learned from observing horses. 


Koda, Harmony and Nemo (Dec 2019)
I have been taking photos of the big guy for many years, and have yet to get a photo of Nemo without his watchful eye - directly on me. Unless of course I catch him with his eyes closed, or masked. Even when the horses are running and interacting, he is looking at me/the camera. I can't help but wonder, how does he keep one eye on me at all times?


Nemo (May 2019)

4 comments:

Shirley said...

I love just hangin' with my little herd and watching the interaction of herd dynamics. In fact, that's what my post today is about!
Nemo is a handsome fellow. There is always one in every herd that is the watcher, and they are usually the herd leader/boss. In my herd, it's Belle.

aurora said...

Shirley, I would have guessed your watcher was Beamer. This is my first time living with a herd outside windows at home, and I love it!! Our horses were close-ish while at the family farm, but couldn't pick up details with them across several large fields. I knew an Alpha watches, but didn't realize to this degree. I am far away in the above arrow photo. It is interesting to see Nemo manage Harmony & Koda. When he chooses to lie down and take a break, the other two typically park themselves nearby facing the opposite direction of him. No surprise there. I am off to read your post on dynamics!!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I love watching herd dynamics. It's better than tv and you get to see how they think and interact, who's who in the pecking order etc. They make me smile or laugh all the time.

World of Animals, Inc said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful post. We love that Nemo is always keeping an eye on you. He is so lovely in the photos. We hope you are having an excellent start to your weekend.
World of Animals