1.01.2020

Happy New Year ~ getting creative

I just couldn't decide which photo to use for my annual handmade holiday card this season. Most of the cards I make are equine related. I had prospective photos options, but none of them inspired me enough to move forward with such a labor intensive project. I obsessed about it...

Cierra's calendar photos are good prospects? The concept I had was too similar to last years. I have several pics of Koda I could use? I feel like he gets more visible love than the others. It is Tanks first Christmas with us, I should really feature him! I made a composite using one of my favorite puppy photos of him, but it turned out too fake for meBrad & I have talked about taking a photo of us for years in our woods, and we could include Tank! Never going to happen, at least not in time for this years card. I all but gave up. What difference does it make anyways. I spend days running errands and working on cards, for people to promptly throw away. 

After battling several long upper respiratory viruses the past couple months, I was beyond being able to catch up on my holiday to do list. SO what did I do? I let go, of my self imposed holiday expectations and focused on what was important to me. Creating my annual card. 

The process takes days of thought, then searching through digital files. I need to edit my mail list, get enough photos printed, find coordinate paper, make sure I have enough card stock/envelopes and sticky stuff. I always run out of sticky tape runner! I try to add a tasteful embellishment and sentiment. Someday my rubber stamps will be organized and easier to find. The cards need to be addressed, oops forgot I ran out of labels last year. I also never reordered my return labels that have a typo, so hand writing both on around 40 cards it is. Oh yea, I can't forget to buy postage stamps! 

I decided on sending a New Years card vs pulling all nighters for cards to prospectively make it by Christmas. If you don't leave enough time, it takes all the fun out of creating. Who cares what people think, and that some have already seen the chosen photo. Right? Right!!


card cover
"Milky Way over our barn"

inside greeting
"
Wishing you a peaceful New Year, full of wonder!!"

My decisions, and the end card result were fulfilling. To me. I received heartfelt reactions from some of the recipients. So sweet! Once again, Brad reminded me that certain people actually look forward receiving my photography cards. My cards are different. They are a reflection of me. It renewed my commitment in the power of letting go, and being true to oneself. 

Thanks for being a treasured part of my journey, may our paths continue to cross. Happy New Year!!  




2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

That's a beautiful card with a wonderful sentiment. Anyone who receives one of your cards would feel special.

Shirley said...

It's easy to get caught up in all the foo-fra around Christmas. This year, we didn't do cards at all, nor did we have a big turkey dinner- just a roast beef dinner for two although the neighbours (and those kids!) came over for snacks mid afternoon.
Your photos are lovely, how the heck can you pick just one! The Milky Way photo is amazing.
Happy and joyful 2020 to you and Brad!