3.04.2019

reality check

In the midst of doing our dreaded weekly multi store grocery shopping, Brad called. He was home early from work. That was odd. Found out his back locked up. He couldn't bend at all, and had no clue why/what caused it. Oh boy!! It's been years, but last time this happened to him he was completely out of commission. I opted out of non-essential shopping and made the long 45 minute drive home. I found him on the couch, where he pretty much stayed for 3-4 looong days. Other then Urgent Care & bathroom breaks. Extremely unusual for my hard working guy.

I made what felt like 100 rushed trips carrying groceries in, put perishables away and promptly went to bring horses in by myself. I was on forward march. It was later then usual, dark and cold out. Neither of our boys like being brought in last. I usually bring one in and Brad grabs the other two. I don't care for squeezing two horses and myself through a human sized door maze in the Winter. I either bring them in one at a time, or open the sliding door (brrrr!) in the order of whomever is waiting at the gate. 

After our boys bucking craze simmered, I brought in Koda. Then Harmony, which made Nemo mad! I took his girl without him, and his human was MIA!! More antics. I stood patiently at the gate and talked to Nemo, until he decided to be the horse I needed him to be. Calm. The rest of the time Brad was flat on his back, turn-in/out went smooth. Horses seem to figure things out pretty quickly. They were good as gold for me and came in one by one, without throwing tantrums. It's almost like they knew... What a difference it makes to take one person out of the routine! I know you are all thinking three horses, big deal. Well, it is for me!!

Winter mornings chores go something like this: grain, haul 1-2 bales down to the pasture (the feeder can arrive any day now...), turn-out, pick stalls, wheel barrel to bobcat, dump and attempt to not miss bucket (ha!) unplug & start frozen bobcat, do houdini moves getting in/out while dressed in layers, hoping I don't face-plant while balancing on icy metal edges, yelling at asking grand dogs to stop eating every frozen horse turd on earth, temporarily warm up in saloon, put dogs in stall/saloon (cuz dogs & bobcats don't mix) while hauling to pile. I am sooo thankful for the bobcat from Brad's work, we get to use it seasonally. Then I try to not get stuck on the ice and snow, do more houdini moves, haul more hay over to fill hay bags, oops forgot knife (another trip), haul step stool to each stall (cuz I'm too damn short & it's the only way I can hang heavy hay bags with my injured shoulder) attempt to not get hay all over me (always), refresh waterers, sprinkle PDZ (LOVE that stuff, thanks Arline!!) haul bags of shavings when needed, oops forgot knife again (trip #999) fluff stalls, somewhere along the way I let the dogs out so I can say "get out" 100 more times, get two brooms and one shovel, sweep aisle around two dogs, put everything away and head into house to drop for breakfast 'er early lunch, and thaw my toes.

Did I mention we had two snow storms during this time? Well, we did. Add shoveling two large porches, and front of garage to the above. It made for long days. I also attempted to plow with the bobcat for the first time ever. It went okay, but I was very thankful when our son came out to help us. Love that kid! He did the majority of plowing our very long driveway & paths!!

Nobody plans on caring for a homestead alone, at least not this girl!!! Talk about a reality check...I think I said "no more horses" every single day Brad was down & out. 

I truly love my life and wouldn't trade it for the world, however no one is more thrilled then me to say Brad is back at it. His back is not 100%, but getting better every day. Whew!!!


winter pastures


3 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Well that sucks! Glad to hear Brad is feeling a little better. Taking care of the horses and barns and paddocks and everything that goes with it is hard for one person. I know this because when my daughter goes on her vacation trips (one coming in May) it's all on me. Luckily, we do have a guy who does the stalls. So that's a huge help. I'm on deck for the horses and the paddocks etc. The snow doesn't help either. We had about 6 inches last night. I'm getting tired of winter about now. I don't do two horses at a time anymore, one at a time is safer. Hang in there, your son sounds like a great kid.

Linda said...

I feel your pain, but you did it!! I often wonder how I’d survive around here without my husband. Not so well, not so well. I remember those few days I was alone and tending Tumbleweed all day and night in the cold and rain—it was so hard without his help. You do what you have to do, I guess. Glad he’s better now. Pat yourself on the back a thousand times!

Shirley said...

When you have to do things alone all the time, you would be surprised how quickly you find ways to simplify the routine. My husband doesn't help with chores so I have things set up to be easy for me. As time goes on and you become truly settled in, I'm sure you'll find those ways too. Always keeping in mind that either of you should be able to do it solo. One tip I have.... carry a good pocket knife. I am never without a knife in my pocket and it is sooooo handy.