6.27.2016

smell the pines

The past few weeks have been so busy, we haven't had time to work on our land. We did take a nice hike in the woods, and then walked the sunny loop.

The wooded paths do not connect, yet. We had to do some bush whacking & branch diving between the trails. It doesn't seem like we have that much left to clear, but in reality it will take much longer then appears. 

It is so interesting to see how the forest (and land) in general changes week to week... 


The spooky tree arms, 'er branches almost got Brad!!

Can't wait to ride the "spooky tree" trail we began creating,
with a little help from our deer friends.

Once we were out of the woods, the wildflowers that were spotty and struggling for light, stood out in bright patches along the edges of the loop...


I really like these bright orange & yellow flowers

Who knew spiderwort was a native wildflower? 


A sea of yellow

Yesterday after a very warm indoor ride at the barn, we hauled our mower for some long overdue mowing. You could hardly tell we had storms and a much needed dump of rain the night before, but you could sure smell it...mmmm...we took deep inhales...and longer exhales...instant smell of pines, from across the field...wow!!!

I've smelled pines many times before, even during rain, but never like that - it was soooo fresh! I don't know what it is about this property, but it's so quiet and serene...and 
offers instant relaxation.

Eventually we got to work. If that's what you want to call it.

Brad mowing the field island we cleaned up a while ago

Puttering along mowing one of the existing trails,
while my guy clears fallen wood ahead of me

 Brad blazed a trail through the grassy area,
until he got to the hill
 left or right?
left trail: towards the fields
right trail: further into the woods
Speaking of fields, second crop of alfalfa is done and the pasture grass we planted is looking good! So are the weeds, but those should be gone soon. 


pasture

We took one more looong look around...sigh...we already can't wait to call this home! Better get cracking on those house plans!! This land was such a unique find, don't know how we got so lucky?! I believe it was one of those things that was meant to be. If your a believer, you know what I mean...we are so grateful.




Before we left, we drove over to the area where the wild cactus grows more prevalent - they are just starting to bloom!!





5 comments:

Carol Anne said...

I'd give anything to own a small piece of land of my own (bonus if my horse(s) could be there too....
It looks like you will have some fantastic trails to ride in no time. I loved the flower photos!! Beautiful!!

Carol Anne said...

I'd give anything to own a small piece of land of my own (bonus if my horse(s) could be there too....
It looks like you will have some fantastic trails to ride in no time. I loved the flower photos!! Beautiful!!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Just beautiful! Love the mell of fresh pines too. Looks like you're making a lot of progress! Pretty wild flowers too. Bet you can't wait for the house and barn to be built!

Shirley said...

Such a beautiful place, you are so lucky to call it your own.

C-ingspots said...

Oh Aurora, I believe in fate and in miracles. That's what you have there, and it's such a blessing. So very beautiful, and I can just smell those spicy scented pine trees from clearrrrr over here! I don't know how you can stand it - get busy on those house plans girl!!! And thanks so much for your comment. :) I'm still basking and my hubs and my friend, Mary's hubby took those pics, which I'm grateful to have.