9.18.2024

september sky

After a long hiatus from photographing the night sky, the almost full moon caught my eyes. It was flanked by the top of two pines, surrounded by a hazy glow. Oh so pretty! It lured me to capture it. Fully knowing the waning moon would have traveled higher, by the time I had my camera in hand. I decided to shoot the moon anyways. No cool composition, just an orb in a sea of darkness.

9/16/24

After my brief night sky shoot, I put my jammies on and sat down next to my hubby to read. Whatever he was watching on TV chattered away in the background. Before flipping any pages, I checked my phone. My eyes grew w-i-d-e as I saw the potential Aurora Borealis geomagnetic indicator was at KP 7. Um. Yah. Just like the moon *that* got my attention. 

It quickly turned to "should I or shouldn't I chase the fickle lights"? I've been skunked locally more times than I care to admit. Mostly during low solar activity years. False hope gets old. These days my sleep takes priority over any sky event.

As I am sure you know, we are currently in a more active Solar Maximus time period. I decided to take a chance. Got dressed and grabbed my camera. It was on stand-by. Like every crazy light chaser, you preset your camera and prep your gear any time there is a real possibility. 

We headed out the door full of wonder. Shortly after 9pm. My nice hubby came along and drove us about a half an hour away. We arrived to find one car already watching for the lights. 



9/16/24 9:45pm
(lightened for scenery)

It was a beautiful unseasonable warm night. It felt weird not to be bundled up in Winter gear! I not so patiently waited. I always say, I was in the bathroom when God handed out patience. After checking my phone a hundred times, I decided to wait until 10:30pm. I always feel guilty when Brad is waiting for my photography, especially on a chance. He was content in the truck, listening to tunes and likely playing games on his phone. I popped back-n-forth from my shooting spot to the truck, giving Brad updates. I was delighted to have the safety of his company!


Much to my surprise, the lights briefly came on!! Nothing spectacular, but it was fun to practice. The last time I tried shooting the Northern Lights, was on my 2018 photographers group trip to Alaska.



9/16/24 10:46pm


It was the night before a full moon and very bright outside! No doubt the moon washed the colors out. The only visible color to the naked eye, was a faint hazy red (less pink). Straight up. Above the dang power lines. What is a girl to do, other than shoot where ever the lights are. 



10:46pm

10:46+pm


10:47pm


10:48pm


10:49pm


back by our truck 10:50pm


fading 10:51pm


In less than 10 minutes, the Northern Lights were gone. Shortly after, we headed home. I have no doubt they became visible again, at some point. If not the same night, then early the next day. I zonked out until 2:20am. I tried SO HARD to talk myself into going back outside again. With the lights shining high in the sky, there was a good chance I could have seen them from our land. Our next door neighbors have.

Maybe next time. It could happen.














5 comments:

Shirley said...

I have yet to stay awake enough to check for the northern lights. You did good! And what a good guy Brad is.
When I get up in the middle of the night I always look outside and check but haven't seen them lately. I remember one night so many years ago when I was on night patrol in the winter, checking the highways, and there was an absolutely jaw dropping display of the Aurora- complete with crackling sound and whip fast movement. I stood there amazed for about half an hour before duty called and I had to get nack in the truck and continue my journey. A night I will never forget.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have slept through all the good nights...and we have that bear who wants to go outside at night? You got some great shots! I watched the partial eclipse out of the kitchen window:)

Marie Smith said...

You captured some lovely shots. The Northern lights are a treat to see but a photo is priceless.

Val Ewing said...

Wow...wow! I missed out on the lights, but dang it!
Maybe next time?
Those are amazing and beautiful.
I had a friend send me shots from his apartment in Madison on that night, amazing that they were so strong like that!

Most moon shots tend to end up in a sea of darkness...but still I am fascinated by the moon.

Beautiful! Chasing fickle lights can be an obsession!

aurora said...

Thanks all! Every light display is unique. I was happy to see the lights again and have company. For me this display was missing the magnetic feel, that I've experienced other times. Maybe the power lines were blocking it ;)

Shirley, I have never heard the lights - but know they can make sounds. I imagine the Aurora Borealis is nothing short of amazing in Canada. Maybe some day I will find out in person. I'm still trying to get Brad to travel to Canada, Alaska or even Norway. I do hope you experience the wonder again!

I would not hang out outside with bears lurking either, Connie. You just never know what triggers them to do the unlikely. Glad you got to see the Harvest Moon!

Marie, I didn't even know there was any green in the sky. It was much clearer overall than we thought. Thank goodness for cameras!

Val, my very first time seeing the lights was in Madison when I was 15. I've been hooked ever since. They were high above the trees (in a park) dancing like crazy. White with a hint of green. It went on for hours. I got in trouble for staying out past my curfew, but it was worth it.

I feel connected to the Northern Lights, because, well ~ my name. My people can always find me there in spirit.