12.28.2019

a walk on the wild side ~ day one

Out of the blue, Brad asked if I wanted to take Koda for a walk. Um yes, of course!! I have only been asking him to do something *anything* with me and our horses at home for sooo long that I stopped asking. 

......................

Koda's little kid side keeps showing up. After primarily only having handling during turnout for over a year and a half, he is being bratty, pushy at the gate etc. He begrudgingly obliges when asked to back up and wait, take a stroll down the driveway, walk behind the barn before heading to his stall, or *gasp* entering the barn last. 

Koda is very very routine oriented. If Koda could, he would put his own halter on and turn himself in/out at the appropriate time and order, where he goes first. We humans just get in his way. Koda is not the kind of horse you can just let sit. He needs a job, and to be reminded of his manners on a regular basis. We absolutely remind him of the good boy that he can be, every time he is handled. However, I am sure Brad has noticed Koda's naughtiness increasing. He tests everyone, not just me. I thought he would grow out of being the class clown, but it is part of who he is.

......................

Brad is more reassuring then I am for our horses, so he walked the snorting dragon better known as Koda bear...


Heading down to the woods, on the wild side of the fence

Jameson (grand dog) isn't sure he want to be any closer
to the snorting machine

Tank watching Koda nibble & try to relax out of pasture sight

Nemo is very concerned

Brad & Koda took a short wooded walk
and came out by the apple trees
Walking past the huge scary brush pile

Happy to be heading back towards the pasture

walking up to the barn

Nemo & Harmony checking the situation

It has been a long time since our horses have been down to our woods, or any distance from the barn/pastures. We went for one trail ride after purchasing our land three years ago. Harmony has never explored our land. I hope her walk-a-bout days (and Nemo's) will be coming too. The first steps towards our original dream...

The dragon breathing diminished and everyone survived without incident. All is well in Koda's world, and he even got to go in the barn first :) 


3 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Great! It's a start and a good idea for a nice hand walk around the property. Once you're in the saddle he'll be an old hand at navigating the whole farm. Everything looks gorgeous by the way.

Shirley said...

Walkabouts are good! That's about all I will be doing with Drifter over the winter, it will be good for his young mind. I will be walking him rather than ponying him, at least at first until he gets used to being away from his comfort zone. I'll get some exercise too!

Linda said...

What a wonderful property to explore. I too love the walkabouts. They are some great exercise for all and good training, too. I walk and ride Cowboy to keep him going and I walk Tweed away from the barn and buddies. I hope to make some resolutions this year to get out and do it much more.