1.22.2012

Sunday Stills ~ Birds

I knew shooting birds was going to be a true challenge for me. I do not own a long lens, and can never get close enough. I love birds, and have numerous feeders at home. I've tried for years to get decent shots of my feathered friends. I didn't even attempt it this time. Instead, I drove into the city to the only place I could think of that would have open water during below freezing temps - the locks. 

tenney
Locky Ducks

I used to take my kids there to feed the ducks, with bread crusts we had saved. Feeding creates such great photo opportunities, but the city has since banned it. Not wanting to chance paying a hefty fine, I stood as close to the banks as I could on a very bright, sunny cold day...

duckflapper
Duck Flapper

trio
Incoming Geese

mallard
Lone Mallard

mates
Mates

hello
Hello, got bread?

8 comments:

Dreaming said...

Awww, the sweet duck wading through the snow is so cute!
I love the incoming geese - nice shot!

Janice said...

Pretty shots,I like them all but I really like the first one and the one of the duck waddling through the snow.

Crystal said...

Aww I like the one in the snow too, cute!

C and C Antiques and Animals - What a Life! said...

Looks like you got some great shots. I like the snow one the best.
Connie

Once Upon an Equine said...

I love birds too; birds of all kinds. You got some great shots. Love the geese touching down and that little ducky waddling in the snow is adorable. He looks very motivated for his bread.

Denise said...

Yes I was the same and invested in a zoom lens but these are great. The duck in the snow is my favourite.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

You took some really awesome photos!! I especially like the little snow duck.

Firas said...

Exceptionally beautiful and spectacular shots : )