2.17.2024

frozen bubble fun

There is something about Winter that inspires me to take photos. I don't know if it is the stark visual change that makes any color pop, the whisper of Winters silence or the sparkly glistening snow.

Whatever it is, Winter draws me outside. The colder the better. If it wasn't so dangerous to be out in slippery conditions, I would enjoy even more Winter photography. Including travel. 
These days I stick around home. 

I have always wanted to try Frozen Bubble photography. It has been done and shared online for a long long time. Typically in video format. Google for ohh's and ahhh's of watching ice patterns morph as a bubble freezes. 

During a stretch of frigid January weather, I tried shooting frozen bubbles. The first time was a total flop. The wind instantly popped every single bubble, despite my best efforts to block it. Frustrated and cold. I gave up.

I bundled up and tried again the next morning. 


70-200mm lens, with extenders

The extenders are the 3 black (hollow) rings closest to camera body. They can be used separately or together for different ratios. An inexpensive alternative to a Macro lens.




upside down mason jar base on a stick worked wonders



frozen bubble test

(photos taken at 4F)

While trudging back-n-forth through the snow, I noticed a perfectly formed circle surrounding a sole leaf. It must have spun round-n-round, like a record. Ohhh the wonder!!



highly processed iphone photo to accentuate circle



what I saw looked more like this

More to wonder, what could I do different to my bubble photos to enhance my bubble mania?

I thought my tiny childhood glass animals would be fun to add, but I only have a few left and didn't want to risk breaking them. I spotted the little gazing polar bear that blogger Val gave me on one of our hikes. My special polar bear would be perfect, and would not break! 

I set the bear on top of the mason jar and blew a bubble around it. Or tried. Another epic fail.

On my next try I blew the bubble first and dropped the bear into the bubble. 
The funniest thing happened. The bubble swallowed the bear! It closed up completely lol!!

I could barely see the bear, so I broke the bubble. No, I did not catch the bubble blast. Maybe next time I'll try to catch bubble shards.



you can bear-ly see the polar bear

Another tap to the bubble and the wondering bear appeared! The chosen photo to share for Valentine's Day along with the wish of "wonder". 



wonder 1/17/24

My reflection is in this ^ photo, in more ways than one. Yes, I toned some of the Dawn dishsoap blueness down. It is not meant to be a blue photo perse. Au Contraire.


another bubble in early stage of freezing



 later stage of freezing (same bubble as above)


Notice the smaller bubbles. 



pretty bubble



6 comments:

Shirley said...

That is very cool! (no pun inteanded....)
What did you use to make the bubble? A straw?

aurora said...

Yes, I used a regular sized plastic straw. I did try a larger/wider straw first. My thought was "bigger straw bigger bubble" but the larger straw didn't work at all for me.

This is how I made the bubbles: Small batch of homemade solution: 3/4C water, 1/4C dish soap and 2TBS of glysterin. There are various recipes online, some use corn starch. I have both on hand but thought glysterin would work better.

Many use an inverted pop can for a base, others use snow. I think anything where a small amount of bubble solution can puddle would work.

Cover the tip of the straw & dip the other end into solution. Draw straw up without letting go. Empty the solution. Slooowly blow through the straw, while drawing the straw up and out of the bubble.

It was fun, I will experiment again.

Val Ewing said...

Oh wow, oh wow...oh wow.
I have always wanted to try that and have always just let it go. But you really mastered it. Hands down, those are extremely beautiful and detailed.

This would be beautiful with a time lapse too.

I love the cold blue colors as well as all of the others. Of course my fav is the polar bear peeking out of the bubble!

Goodness. These are incredible!

Val Ewing said...

Oh...that leaf one! Too cool!

aurora said...

Correction to my comment above: Some bubble recipes use corn SYRUP not corn starch! Really wish Blogger would allow comment edits.

..................

Glad you enjoyed the frozen wonder Val :) I think after seeing the online frozen bubble videos/timelapse most photographers want to try frozen bubbles. I am not online as much and had all but forgotten about it. I almost didn't even try when I looked recipes etc up and saw everyone I saw used photo props (lights and black box/backgrounds).

The rising sun with the pines as a background worked for me. My fav part was when the bubble swallowed the bear. It was so unexpected and too funny!!

Both our neighbors can see the field where I shot the bubbles. No doubt they thought I was completely nuts! Oh, and that leaf circle sure was an odd find.

Linda said...

I have never seen or heard of this until now! It’s magical. What a fun way to capture the beauty of winter, Aurora. The leaf pattern is pretty special and surprising.