2.09.2024

beauty and the beast

For the first time ever, Wisconsin had a February tornado touchdown about 5:30pm last night. An hour away from our place. There is a lot of wind destruction, but as far as I know no loss of life. Some folks have still not been allowed to return to their homes.

beast

(screenshot of a borrowed photo)

We tucked the horses into their stalls just before the winds kicked up. Surprisingly, they didn't seem fazed when we walked them in. They usually let us know danger is imminent. Especially our sensitive guy Nemo.

The sun was setting on our stroll back to the house. It was raining and windy. Brad said "the sun is still up, there is going to be a rainbow". I was doubtful. I can count on one hand how many rainbows I've seen on our property.

Walking past the kitchen window I saw **gasp** a rainbow begin, and ran outside in stocking feet.



beauty

facing north (neighbors barn) 2.8.24 at 4:56pm


SO exciting watching the phenomenon turn into a full rainbow! Eeks!! 



facing north and northeast


I ran inside for slippers and came back to the start of a double rainbow! I was like a kid in a candy store.




south end of the double rainbows

(facing east)


The double rainbow morphed into two full rainbows!! The first one brighter than the second. I tried to capture them both in one shot, but there were darn obstacles in my way, and I was 'ehem in slippers. 




double the gold




north end of the rainbows

2.8.24 at 5:00pm


I may need to change the section of our property that I call "where the wild things live" to "where the leprechauns hide the gold" lol.

Within 4-5 minutes, the rainbows began to fade away. Now to go find the gold!




4 comments:

Shirley said...

Wow- well, double wow , one for the tornado and then the rainbow(s). Glad the tornado wasn't that close! what a treat to see the double rainbows. Very special, even in slippers!

Val Ewing said...

I love rainbows! Double is even better!

I heard about the storm but they weren't too exact about where it landed on one of the news stories.

Jefferson County is where the grand kids live. They are fine, it was south of them.
Yikes.

Linda said...

Holy cow, that tornado looks intense and wicked! Too close for comfort! Believe it or not, one touched down at our house a couple of years ago. I was on the phone when it happened and I heard a loud explosion. I thought a nuclear bomb went off. I looked out my back window, toward our horses, and it was very dark, but the tornado portion was in front, destroying our fence and then over a hill to our neighbor's farm, where he watched it pull up very tall pine trees. Someone filmed it, and that is the only way they were able to verify that it was, indeed, a tornado. One of only a few to ever hit our area. They say lightning never strikes twice and I hope that is also true with tornadoes. Very strange that your horses didn't react.

Beautiful photos of the rainbow afterward. I think you have found gold there on occasions.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow your rainbows are beautiful! Thank you for your kind words Aurora, I appreciate them and you!