2.05.2024

thrill of a different horsepower

Our extended deep freeze has long passed. I enjoyed it immensely!! I loved bundling up and snowshoeing our woods, taking frozen photos and snowmobiling. Just as much as sitting hunkered underneath my blankee. Snug as a bug in a rug. Feeling the warmth of the nearby fire. I feel a tad bit guilty about my frosty happiness. Only a tad. 

........................ 

It had been at least three years since I rode my beloved red sled. I rode it not once this year, but twice!

On day one, we rode out from our land. Temps were in the balmy low teens. We crossed our road and maneuvered through neighboring property (with permission). Much nicer than taking the road to the nearby trail system.  

The snow was deep. Untouched in area's. I quickly realized that I kinda forgot how to ride. Gulp! I admit, fear instantly bubbled up. My balance was awkward. Would I bury my sled? Maybe I've gotten too old for this. Where did my snow machine savviness go?? I needed my snow sway back! 

In these parts, one has to cross roads to connect trails. Sometimes even highways. Many of the snowmobile trail approaches are not for the faint of heart. If you are smart you check traffic at least twice, and then ~ vroom go! There are times when all you can see is a lopsided snow drift across from you. You cannot see anything after that. It could be a straight downhill drop (usually posted) a path, curve or the dreaded dip. Just like downhill skiing, staying loose is key to riding out the unexpected. Tense up and you will find each and every bump jarring.


It wasn't long before I relaxed into my ride. Altho Brad does makes me lead. Which is a lot of responsibility! If you are wondering why he would do such a thing, it is because I am told I go faster. Apparently I go even slower when lagging behind. Whatever. Lol! I think it is easier for him to keep an eye on me.

My fear melts away r
iding among the trees. A reminder of why I love snowmobiling so much.


me 1/17/24


My sled doesn't have an attitude or get scared of imaginary monsters. I can experience things I wouldn't otherwise. My fav is riding wooded winding trails!! Makes me feel like a kid again. Up north, riding the wood trails is like being inside a video game. Realtime. SO much fun!! It's an upper body workout. I also enjoy the occasional long stretch of trail. Some roads close to cars in the north and you can see for miles, with no crossroads. Since I am always leading, I can open up my sled. Feels like flying! Well, my version of flying.

The majority of the time we ride slow-mo. Soaking up scenery. Much like riding horses on trails. Something I also hope to return to doing this year. 

I am thankful Brad doesn't mind riding with me. I couldn't snowmobile without him. I am not strong enough to get a sled out of a predicament or redirect on pavement when fueling up.

Pretty sure I didn't pass a single female the two days we rode. I did chat with one, and saw a few other snow loving gals in a restaurant later in the week.




We are strictly riders and do not do the bar hopping or stopping to eat thing. We went out to breakfast once on our sleds up north many years ago and vowed never to ride with a full stomach again. No clue how people ride intoxicated either. Snowmobiling is challenging enough sober. 

In years past, I stopped more often to take memory photos of the incredible sights. Many of the trails we ride are private property. You cannot see the wonder any other way. This year, I mostly enjoyed the scenery.




trails frequently take you to the top of the world
1/18/24

My favorite part of our two afternoon rides was towards the end of day two. We were sloooowly weaving through open trees in someones gorgeous back 40 and came upon not one, but two, three ~ no wait ~ five eagles!! What a sight! Even at a distance. Some eagles stayed firmly perched high above, while others continued soaring.

Somewhere along the trail I missed a big eagles nest. Shortly after, a flock of turkey were spotted waddling in a field. A familiar sight on our own land.



breaking trail at home


I am aware many are not fans of snow machines and more so the riders. I truly understand why. However not all of us snowmobilers are disrespectful and love the land just as much as other outdoor folks do. I'm not even going to talk about the revenue it brings in. 'Nuff said.


........................ 

Currently we are waay above normal temps. Snowmobiling may very well be done for the year and I am okay with it. I got out twice more than I have in what feels like forever. My snowmobiling cup is overflowing & happy!


What a difference a year makes!!

5 comments:

Shirley said...

We have a river that goes in a U shape around the farm, and once it freezes up the snowmobiles race along it. Not too many this year so far. Glad you got out and enjoyed sledding!
Ted's son has a business called Mad Motorsports and his main deal is building sleds for racing. It's crazy how much money people spend on them! Well.... I guess no crazier than what horse people spend! Hahaha.

Val Ewing said...

Snow mobile riding sounds like fun. I did it once with my brother as a passenger behind him. So I cannot pass judgement or even say if I like it or not.

This would have been the year [when I was 16] when I discovered cross country skiing. I went the silent way.
I've ridden my horse/and mule on snow mobile trails during the spring and they actually do take you to places you cannot get to normally.

After meeting that fellow on the snowmobile this winter, I've decided that not everyone is going for being the loudest or the fastest.

I have a funny story about my very first horse, a snowmobile and a huge drift. Some day I'll tell you about it.

aurora said...

Shirley, They have racing events on some of our frozen lakes. I've never been. I've heard they are fun to watch. No clue how much a racing sled might cost, but anything you race is pricey. It's all about passion. Don't get me started on spending $ on horses...ha haaa!!

Yes Val, public snowmobile trails are enjoyed in other ways. The ones we frequented up north are among my favorite trails to horseback ride!!

There are private land owners that allow trails (some created & others existing) to become public in Winter. Because they are not used for grazing or harvesting, some have woods. I sure am grateful that they share! Sadly some idiots do not stay on the private trails. When a land owner gets tired of it, they ruin it for the rest of us.

I look forward to hearing your story!! Our horses are terrified of not only snowmobiles, but our monster eating apparel. Even if we take our helmets off! We occasionally rode sleds across the big field at our old place for evening feeding, before heading out on the trails. We don't ride at night anymore.

TeresaA said...

I think it would be fun. I haven’t been on a sled in decades but I appreciate how you can see so many gorgeous views. I think it’s like anything- disrespectful riders will give it a bad tap. We have similar things with ATVs here. Most are great but a few tear up fields and really piss people off.

Linda said...

Ha! I get that thrill from the other kind of horsepower, but I haven't ever tried snowmobiling. My niece and her husband and kids are avid about it and even own a shop that specializes in them. I live vicariously through them. I've heard they are tricky to get the hang of! We ride wave runners in the summer, and I know some people feel the same way about them as you're saying about snowmobilers. We go back and forth and sometimes combine interests between the quietness of boards and the loudness of boats and wave runners. If we ever see boardes/kayakers, we make a wide berth around them and try not to invade their peace.