4.11.2013

unless your a duck

With spring thaw, we all expect mud. It's more like mud soup around here these days. Who pissed off Mother Nature? She's been dumping rain, torrential rain, and then more rain on us - for endless days. It's a mudfest. I hate to complain about moisture, when last year we had a drought. Guess this year makes up for it. I actually like rain, but not long stretches. Sprinkle in some cold wind, we get coated with ice and everything is more like a fudgsicle.

The pasture lake is back, poor trees are taking another beating. Doesn't look like they will ever recover from the power line destruction. My hubby is down there daily, trying to keep it draining. Endless job, until it drys up, and it will. I frequently get asked how our horses handle the mud sucking pasture lake. My answer is always the same "horses are smart, they just don't go down there until the footing gets better".







Animals don't enjoy this weather any more then we do, unless you're a duck. They do much the same. Take cover. Stay out of the wind. Get a little agitated. Snuggle. Look forward to warming meals, and turn the not so pretty color of mud...


there is a Nemo hiding under all that mud


...when the weather breaks, the sun will feel all the better & so will another reeeally good scratch...



Koda, in scratch heaven

8 comments:

Dreaming said...

Oh my, Nemo looks.... well, let me put it this way, I'm glad he's not in my paddock. I certainly wouldn't look forward to chipping the mud off!

Martine said...

Nemo is right up there in the Flurry league. You have my sympathy!
We've also had loads and loads of rain but it seems to have finally stopped (fingers X'd)
Yours will too... sometime!

Anonymous said...

Quack, quack . . . we're in the same "boat" . . .

Sherry Sikstrom said...

We have poop soup here too

C-ingspots said...

Oh boy, living in NW Oregon...I know exactly how you're feeling. :) That's a sheepish grin in case you're wondering. Cuz...we've had some rain here and there, but our weather continues to be much drier than normal. Easter weekend was the high point so far, temps in the upper 70's and we were hot! Things have mellowed since, but still not too bad. The grass is growing out of control and flowers are popping up everywhere. I'm looking forward to the long, warm days so much! Bet you are too! Wish we lived closer, we could take a little ride! We took Eagle to a clinic last W/E - I was so proud of him! My brave boy! 20 riders so the clinician didn't think it a good idea to ride him, but we did lots of good work. Might even have this guy put a few good rides on Eagle. Save me and hubby's bodies, just in case. :) Good to hear from you!! Hope your weather turns drier and warmer soon! In the meantime, enjoy the cozy snuggle times. Love your muddy pony pics!!

The Dancing Donkey said...

Mother Nature has been in a mood for months. I wish we could get her something to cheer her up!

allhorsestuff said...

You Must Be Getting Our Quota Of Moisture....We've Had Unusually Dry Months...For This Time-o- Year.
That Probably Means We May Be Headed For A Drought.

That Is Some Lake There, And Nemo! Ya Sure That Wasn't Some Other Horse!
Hang In...
KK

aurora said...

I didn't realize so many of us were water logged, except for our West Coast friends. Just heard we are in for another week of the same, sigh.

Looking forward to catching up on your blogs! I've missed so much...