7.19.2026

butterfly garden update

As you may recall, early this Spring we did our first controlled burn in our struggling Butterfly Garden. Pulling Weeds, over seeding, and a whole lot of over thinking, were not enough to make butterfly garden dreams come true.

We
inherited an area of sky high piled yunk wood in 2016. The garden started with weeds much taller than us humans
Wide open areas are a haven for ruthless weeds. 


Growing anything
in sandy loam besides invasive weeds is slow and challenging. I have been learning the hard way. By trial and error. Seeds don't take as easy and purchased perennials seem to wither beyond their first year. One can only assume from a lack of nutrients and consistent moisture. Adapting to growing anything in sandy soil is a work in progress. 

There are times I have to remind myself of my gardening motto:
Grow what Grows for You. 

The garden was planted in 2022. The butterfly garden dream was: One half (wing) would be perennials and the other mostly bfly loving annuals. Keeping a curvy path down the middle would allow immersion. Silly homemade deelly bobber antennas would be added to one end. Fostering wonder and smiles. Among other things, we talked about also possibly adding a bench.

2023 was our most active butterfly year. Only one year after the initial planting. Not the typical 3-5 years for plants and gardens to establish. Thanks to annuals. Despite my best efforts, annuals do not grow well anymore. No clue why. They were self & reseeding so nicely. This leaves me not so patiently waiting for native perennials to do their thing.

The butterfly garden was suppose to be low maintenance. Before we moved here, I decided to retire from gardening in the ground. Wellll, that didn't work. Guess I can't help myself. Growing plants is in my blood!! Both indoor and outdoor. I am a good candidate for PAA (Plant-Aholics Anonymous).

The Butterfly Garden was initially Brad's idea. Many of my past gardens evolved from less desirable mowing spots. Our agreement was: If we could not get the big garden to be lower maintenance, it would get plowed under. It would not bother me a bit. Been there. Done that. It wouldn't be my first time saying good-bye to a butterfly garden. The first was (with permission) in a public park as a Girl Scout leader. Watering (and accountability) became an issue. That year turned out to be a tough drought year.

Seeing weeds spread and choke out flowering plants that I am trying to nurture bothers me. I was ready to stop fighting the weeds and fire up the mower. Instead, we decided to try Plan C. 
A controlled burn. I think it worked? Kinda. Sorta. It has been very interesting to see what survived the burn, and what did not. Control burning a flowering garden/prairie area is a first for me. Each week or so, another plant reveals itself. Often not where it was originally planted.



6.26.26

Plants returning to date: One purchased Native Coneflower returned. One. I see no sign of other native coneflowers started/seeded plants that grew. The fancier garden varieties that had previously returned, apparently perished. 










Orange Butterfly Weed not only survived, but spread!! One plant was purchased, others started from seed. I also spread chilled seeds, that take years to even begin to grow.









Hello Yellow Butterfly Weed not only survived, but also spread!! I started these indoors from seed. The seeds are harder to find than the standard orange variety.  









I am watching for Liatris blooms. Some of the plants did return after the burn. They usually bloom later in Summer for me. 


No signs of Black Eyed Susans. These tender perennials have never done well for me. Here or at my previous home. I've tried growing 
them in every way. Perhaps they will show up eventually. It could happen.

Returning blooms from earlier in the season:



Lupine
5.19.26


Hairy Beard Tongue
(s
tarted indoors from seed)
6.5.26




Hawkweed?

Self planted weed, growing everywhere. I will most likely have to pull some, so it doesn't take over.



More recent sightings:



Hoary Vervain 
7.3.26




Finally, a real butterfly in this years garden!


As you can see I made peace with letting grasses grow, along with what I consider weeds. Some are beneficial. The Monarch above seems to appreciates them.



yellow coneflowers have spread and doing well (from plants & seeds)
7.12.26




thriving together



A surprise Red Catchfly (aka Red Campion)
7.15.26


looks like more than one :)


Future plans: Another early Spring controlled burn. Also, watching for native plants to go on sale. I would like to continue adding a few key plants each year. However, the plants are pricey! More seeds will be spread, although I honestly don't feel seeding is effective here. Regardless I will continue collecting, saving and spreading seeds. Some seeds are easier to collect than others. Jury is out on the path & the fun antenna deely bobbers :)


The rest will be up to Mother Nature.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

We burned ours one year, since then we mow in early Spring. I am always thankful for what shows up, we spread seeds out and who knows how long they take to germinate. I think starting some seeds indoors is the way to go. When I look back at photos I see how my wild gardens have changed over the years depending on rain. I will have Milkweed blooming this week.

aurora said...

Thanks for sharing Connie! It is helpful to know how others maintain their wild(er) gardens. I agree on starting plants indoors. With the exception of coneflowers. They grew for me, but did not survive.

Milkweed is so pretty, enjoy your butterfly lovin' blooms!! I tried every way to get them to grow in my actual garden space. Nothing worked. They do grow everywhere else on our property. Works for me and more importantly, the butterflies :)

Val Ewing said...

Everything this year is overgrown here. I gave up on the wildflower garden next to the house last year and this year was surprised by hordes of Sweet William and then this morning I noticed the black eyed susans that decided to come up just next to that ratty garden. Some even came up next to the peonies way out in the yard.

Go figure. Of course our soil is much different than your too.
I tossed out old pumpkins once more into the mule's pasture.
I have at least two dozen plants coming up. What surprises await this fall!

I've never done a controlled burn. Kudos on your wonderful butterfly weeds! Mine died! Go figure.