9.29.2018

things worth waiting for

Horse Shelter prep:

clearing out stumps, trees & brush

checking ground levels

a few sturdy oaks remain

hazy wider view of shelter site
(taken from our house deck)

Connecting the Barn & House:

grand dogs inspecting the first section prep
(complete with puddles)

stamp of approval

day one: first section poured
second section formed up and ready

day two: second section done
third section formed up & ready

day three: poured & drying
let the three-wheel barrelin' commence!

7 days of curing & more backfill and we can drive on it


Next steps: pushing more dirt around, back filling, framing the horse shelter flooring and then my guys will pour the pad. Our horses might even have a shelter within a couple weeks! Maybe. 

7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sounds like a lot of progress! I’ll bet you’re loving that new driveway. So much easier to navigate. Next, on to the horse shelter!

Linda said...

Aurora, everything you guys do is top quality. TOP quality! I'm amazed at each step. Do you guys do all of this work yourselves? Even the concrete?

The Dancing Donkey said...

Wow!!

Shirley said...

No more mud!
Your place is so lovely, wish you lived a little closer though!

aurora said...

This is what happens when one is married to a concrete guy. I really want to dust off my old roller blades, but I am afraid I might kill myself lol! There is no comparison to walking on the varied rocky gravel, especially for me. I have one messed up foot (ruptured tendon, torn ligament & bad sesamoid bone) one good twist and I am headed for major reconstruction.

Linda, the best answer I can give is it depends on the size of the job. The smaller concrete projects are done by us, better said my husband and son (both work in the concrete industry) and if warranted a few co-worker friends help out. The larger concrete jobs like the driveway, are done by a crew. Brad does a lot of the prep work himself, because he knows how and loves it. My guys will do the shelter pad themselves.

This is our forever retirement homestead, and our goal is to build things that hopefully will not need to be replaced. We have been waiting a long long time to finally make some of our dreams happen, a little at a time. However, as a trade-off we don't take regular vacations. Like the title of the post, there are things worth waiting for. I look forward to the day we can share our (neglected) trails with horse friends :)

aurora said...

ShIrley, I wish we lived closer too. Nothing compares to mountains!!

Linda said...

Ah yes, sacrificing a lot to get where you dream to be. It will be worth it. Your place will be very special and one of a kind in its attention to detail.