9.19.2018

late summer projects

I am calling this post "late summer projects" because it doesn't feel like early Fall. We find ourselves stuck in yucky late mosquito season, I mean summer season. Our endless flooding rain eventually stopped, and was promptly followed up with a second invasion of mosquitos. This crop is tiny and vicious. They make doing anything outside less then fun. Regardless, we have been working on miscellaneous projects & chores around our place. You can't let the blood sucking flying pterodactyls stop all progress!!

Here are a few of the more interesting things happening, or about to happen, around our place. In no particular order:



Koda doing his part to clean up spilled hay.

Brad put up around 200 small bales of second crop.
Somehow I wasn't around when it came time to unload it,
and boy do I feel guilty!

There is another half wagon of what we consider bad hay.
We found sand burrs growing in one area, so we baled clear of it.
Those things are nasty!!

Our barn storage/work area is getting put to good use.

The large ply board above is to finish up the tack room ceiling.
As soon as it cools off a bit,
more things will get finished in and around the barn.

We are starting to use the area behind the barn.

Nothing too exciting.

I lunged Koda a couple days just a few twirls at each gait, both directions. Found out it's really hard on my torn shoulder.
Koda doesn't need to be lunged, but it's a quick way of getting him to move out and listen.
 He was a good boy, in the deep sandy dirt.
As soon as the mosquitos die down,
I plan to put out a few obstacles & hop on.



I got my craft on and made a sign for inside our house.

After seeing a few signs for sale with these words (or variations of) it made me think of how frequently we find ourselves saying "this is us".

The backstory:
We spent 8 glorious summers vacationing with our kids in Colorado.
During the daytime one went to hockey camp, the other to horse camp.
Brad & I rode the mountains with our ranch friends.
It was heaven on earth.

A time in our lives none of us will ever forget.

I was so bummed every time we left what felt like home.
We talked about moving West some day, but that would be impractical.

Fast forward to today:
Brad & I get asked why/how we came up with ______ on our land.
It's our version of a mountain homestead. We can't move the mountains,
but are including whatever gives us "that feeling" as much as possible.
It's as close as we will ever get to living near mountains, and we love it!
Hence the sign "this is us".

I have the perfect spot to hang a sign,
but the styles for sale just didn't fit our home.
This sign feels like us. I had so much fun handcrafting!
I've decided to make our three planned barn signs myself.
All I need is more scrap wood (hint, hint)

The driveway between the barn and our house is our current project.
  

I look forward to not stumbling over random rocks in the dark.
I'll be going so fast, tires will be smokin' on my poop filled wheel barrel!!

It is scheduled to be poured this week, unless it starts raining again.
Yesterday it was raining, and it's in the forecast. Sigh.
A horse shelter is in the near future.

The bid came in, and I'll quote Brad "I can't build it for that".
Our son was disappointed when he heard we weren't building it ourselves.
Instead it will be built by the same guys that did our barn shell.
It will match our barn exterior.

It is going right in front of the trees on the right,
and will be done before Winter (yippee!!)
Before it can be built, Brad needs to finish prepping the site.
There are stumps to remove, a pad to pour etc.
Our son may change his mind lol!

5 comments:

Shirley said...

It really is a beautiful place, even if it isn't near the mountains. When you come visit here (hint hint) we are right in the mountains and I'd be happy to arrange a trail ride for you!

World of Animals, Inc said...

Wow this is a gorgeous looking place filled with wide open space. Hope you are enjoying your time here. Thanks for the share, have a fantastic rest of your day. Keep up the posts
World of Animals

Grey Horse Matters said...

You’re really getting a lot done. I think you’re going to love the driveway. It will be so much easier to push the wheelbarrow. Love that sign you made. Have you ever heard the song “This is Us” by Emmy Lou Harris and Mark Knopfler. It’s good. I have their whole album. Anyway,glad you got to work with Koda (he’s such a great help cleaning up the hay). Sorry to hear your shoulder is still not right. Hope it feels better soon. Your trip sounds wonderful too. I love Colorado.

aurora said...

Shirley, I (we) would love that!! You are so fortunate to live in such a beautiful area! We are at peace with the decision made years ago to not move West, knowing we can always visit the mountains - and now we have this place :)

Having a smooth driveway between the house & barn will certainly make life easier Arline. I have not heard the song "This is us" but I am going to look for it. I like Emmy Lou Harris, she is so talented. I should probably have just fixed my shoulder, but I try to avoid surgery unless necessary. I might be someday, but for now I can live with my shoulder the way it is. I am just limited. Glad you liked my sign, it's from a pallet. Far from perfect, but neither are we!

Linda said...

Shelters are great!! God’s gift! That’s a good bid if you can’t beat it yourself. Wow! Sorry about the mosquitoes. That’s awful. I hate mosquitoes, too. Hard on horses and people. Lovely sign with special meaning. You have a beautiful fairy tale retreat.